Allow or Deny Programs through the Firewall.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Stormraven, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Stormraven macrumors newbie

I use Adium, and I wanted to add this style to customise it:

http://macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16800748&p=1

When I remove Adium, and have no add-ons installed I have no problems, but the second I add any add-ones and then login to Adium I get this:

http://img267.imageshack.us/i/cmcapture1.png/

I've added Adium to the list in the Firewall section inside the preferences and it's allowing the program through the firewall, but I keep getting this box popping up every time I login, even if I press the allow button.

I want to be able to add plugins and add-ons without getting this annoying box popping up, can someone help me out please?

Kind Regards
    Stormraven.

2. LPZ macrumors 65816

This can happen if you modify a code-signed application. To test if this is the issue, try this:

1) Open Terminal (in Utilities)

2) Enter

Code:
    codesign -vvv /Applications/Adium.app
    3) Post the output.

3. Stormraven thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply. This is the output:

Code:
    codesign -vvv /Applications/Adium.app
    /Applications/Adium.app: a sealed resource is missing or invalid
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/AddContact.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/AddressBook.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/addressbook_segment.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/advanced_segment.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/AnnouncerAlert.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/ApplescriptAlert.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/block.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/bookmark_chat.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/DefaultIcon.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/DockAlert.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/emoticon32.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/emoticon32_transparent.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/ErrorAlert.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/events_segment.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/GrowlAlert.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/info.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/info_segment.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/linkToolbar.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/Lock_Locked State.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/Lock_Unlocked State.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/LogViewer.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/message.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/notify.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-accounts.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-advanced.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-appearance.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-confirmations.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-contactList.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-defaultclient.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-events.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-ft.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-general.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-mention.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-messagealerts.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-messages.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-personal.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/pref-status.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/remove.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/Safari.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/scriptToolbar.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/sendfile.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/SoundAlert.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/timestamp32.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/timestamp32_transparent.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/unblock.png: resource modified
    /Applications/Adium.app/Contents/Resources/WindowAlert.png: resource modified
    unknown-00-26-bb-55-db-b0:~ iestyn$

4. LPZ, Feb 17, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011

LPZ macrumors 65816

Yeah, that's why the Firewall is complaining. The app is not the same as when shipped, so the Firewall asks your permission every time you open the app.

One solution is to turn off the Firewall; obviously this is not what you want to do.

Another option is to download a clean copy of Adium and never modify it.

One thing to try is to download a clean copy, make all the modifications before you ever open Adium, and then try opening it. If you're lucky, you'll only be asked once about allowing incoming connections. If the app is codesigned before you download, then you may be out of luck, unless you can somehow resign it after you modify it. I don't know enough about the codesign command to offer advice about that---maybe someone else can, or you can find a solution via by searching the web.

You can read more here.

5. Stormraven thread starter macrumors newbie

But I don't understand, the mods are there to customise the program, why doesn't it like it being altered, there must be a way, I've considered trying to add everything before i install the product, but the only thing I can't do is install the plugin, because that needs to go into the library > application support > adium 2.0 > plugin folder, and I need to install it to create that folder, any more ideas? I'd really love to get this sorted out :(

6. LPZ macrumors 65816

I said try to modify the app before you open it, not before you install it. But I'm not sanguine about your chances.

Putting something in that plugin folder is not the issue. The issue is that the stuff inside the Adium.app is not as it was. That's what was listed by the codesign command.