Allow sleep while sharing internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pim16aap2, Jul 22, 2013.

1. pim16aap2 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm the owner of a MacBook Pro (5,5 - Mountain Lion), and in order to stream HD movies / series to my ps3 so I can watch them on my tv, I've connected my ps3 to my pc with an ethernet cable.

I would very much like to be able to let my macbook sleep by just closing the lid, instead of having to disable internet sharing first (and enabling it when I wake it up again, which I always forget).

I have already tried ControlPlane, but when I close the lid (or hit sleep), it still stays wide awake.

Regards,
    Pim

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, its not possible because if you're going to stream you need the computer up. Its like trying to download something, you cannot put the computer to sleep while its in the middle of that operation. Putting it to sleep stops the power to the components, and drives.

Perhaps a NAS is what you want, as that can stream to your PS3 and that device can remain up and you can shut down your computer.

3. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Why the double post? http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17613039#post17613039

4. pim16aap2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know that I can't stream from an offline HDD, but what I want to achieve is that when I close the lid of my laptop, it just goes to sleep. My pc has to be awake while I am awake, imo.

I posted it double because the forums were down when I hit submit the first time, so I thought it wasn't posted. I hit back and submitted it again a few hours later, apparently resulting in a doublepost.