Allowed to buy AppleCare+ Down the road?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Oct 9, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Is one allowed to buy AppleCare+ down the road? How is AppleCare+ going to compare to tired and true providers such as SquareTrade?

Since I am going to be buying the iPhone outright, I don't know if I want to buy AppleCare+ right away with that purchase.

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

AppleCare, yes.

AppleCare+, no.

3. cfairbank macrumors 6502

Just got off the phone with apple customer care. The applecare+ has to be purchased at the same time as purchasing phone. She emphasized that it could not be added later. I did not realize the update of apple care to handle accidental claims so I called to add to my order. She replied as long as it has not been shipped she should be able too. She processed order and sent it on to be "approved." Now have to wait for email confirmation. If it does not work out I will go with Squaretrade which has always worked for me in the past.

4. hellomms macrumors regular

I placed order through ATT Premier and didnt give me an option to add AppleCare+, can I not add it anymore?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

No. You can try going to an Apple Store and talking to someone there. I read somewhere that AT&T was going to sell AppleCare in their stores as well.

6. hellomms macrumors regular

Thats ridiculous. They should allow people to sign-up for AC+ at least on the first day.

7. TazExprez macrumors member

As I wrote in a previous thread, I called Apple today and was told that I could take my unopened iPhone 4S to an Apple store and get AppleCare+ added there. The CSR emphasized that I should not open the box.

8. hellomms macrumors regular

Thanks! Helpful to know.

9. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Then that csr is nutz if he/she thinks I'm not opening my iPhone when I get it.

If they want to sell me AppleCare+, fine. If not, then I won't buy it. Easy.

But I am ripping the box out of the FedEx guys hands and opening it on the spot.

10. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

It would be tragic if you dropped the phone and cracked the screen while you were opening it haha. Then you'll be like ***** I should have waited. ;D

11. yrsued macrumors regular

I just got off the Phone with AppleCare.

I'm buying the 4s from the Verizon Store on Friday, the rep told me that if Verizon didn't offer AppleCare+, I could call from the Verizon Store and they could set me up with AppleCare+ over the Phone.

I have to call my Verizon rep with this info.

Y

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

ROFL! Touché....

13. slgray49 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I called apple the other day and spoke to an AppleCare representative. I told him I ordered my phone through Verizon and wanted to know how to add Applecare+. He put me on hold to speak with someone in the agreement department. He then told me I could call the sales department on Mon and they could add it to my preorder. I will find out Monday if this is true. I will post what happens when I call.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

According to the AppleCare+ TOS Section 11 (x), you can purchase it within the first year of warranty. But, anyway, I spoke to a manager at the local store and he said it is possible to buy the Plus plan shortly after getting the phone, but you would have to bring it in for inspection.

15. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This makes sense to me.

16. hushmartin macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

I called both apple and att because I preordered with att. I spoke with managers that both said that I can go to an att corporate store and get AppleCare+ on launch day. This is vital because there is no apple store near here. Just an FYI for other att preorders. Also, I asked if I needed to bring it unopened and they said no, since it was just launched.

17. rkahl macrumors 65816

ABSOLUTE FACT:
    You have 14 days to get AppleCare +

If they fight you on this simply return the iPhone and repurchase it with AppleCare+

18. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This.

I mean, it's just plain common sense!

19. deeddawg macrumors 604

Read that section again carefully; "(x) You must purchase the Plan while your original iPhone is within Apple’s One Year Limited warranty."

Other may interpret it different, but I don't think "must purchase..." implies "may purchase..."

This I do agree with.

20. yrsued macrumors regular

OK, just got a response from my local Verizon Store Rep, she told me that we will be able to do it at time of Purchase on Friday Morning.