Allowing Customers to Cancel 3G data service

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SleepyHead157, Jun 11, 2008.

1. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

I was wondering if ATT would allow users to cancel their 3G data service and just add the text messaging plan of their choice. I know for the 2G they allowed customers to do this. ( I am one of those customers) I did it because i Never used the EDGE service. I go to college where wi fi is everywhere on campus. And the apartment I live in, has wi fi as well and is only 5 minutes off campus. It worked out perfect for me. Plus I never use the browser when Im outside anyway, I'm usually on the go someplace or driving in my car. I also have free wi fi from ATT at starbucks, mcdonalds and other places ATT offers wi fi to check emails or whatnot (living in NYC, mcdonalds and starbucks are everywhere). and I don't have 3G service where I go to school so its something I won't have once I head back to school in the fall. i was wondering if there was that possibility that the 3G data service could be canceled out of my plan.

I had called an ATT rep 2 days ago, and he specifically told me that i can get the new phone and cancel the 3G data plan if I'm not going to use it and that the ATT rep at the store cannot force me to buy the data plan especially since I didn't have it with my last iphone. He also told me if they continue to try to force me to have the data plan to call ATT customer service and have them talk to the store rep. if that doesnt work out then call customer service after i get my phone activated and they'll get rid of the data. Now i'm wondering if thats possible considering it seems like ATT wants everyone to upgrade to 3G service and are making sure they have it mandatory. i was also thinking, the price of the data is just like any other smartphone, and with any other smartphone your not forced to buy the data plan, so would I be forced to buy the Iphone data plan?

2. neko macrumors newbie

I think we will have to wait till at&t puts the info on their website. But I was in a AT&T store today and was trying to get info from them regarding having to have the data plan. They guy told me you have to have the data plan. He told me that with the old iphone if you did not have the data plan and used the wifi that you were charged by the minute whenever you used wifi. Did you ever get charged for that??

3. SleepyHead157 thread starter macrumors regular

Nope never got charged for wi fi and i dont understand how ATT can charge you for wi fi if your not using the EDGE services. I had my EDGE services cancelled like had a block on it, whereas if i opened safari outside of wi fi, it wouldnt work so I wont get charged for EDGE. I hope its possible to do this again