Almost 10GB RAM used when IDLE on a 1 month old iMac!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Steve.P.JobsFan, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Steve.P.JobsFan, Mar 25, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2012

Steve.P.JobsFan macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Hey, everyone!

I have a one month old iMac (it turned one month old yesterday - happy birthday, iMac!; Specs in signature!) and it seems to be eating memory like the apocalypse is in 3 seconds. I have a 12GB RAM config. Basically, I kept the stock 4GB, and added 8GB DDR3 1333 MHz modules, specifically two 4GB sticks. I opened Activity Monitor just to see how it was running, to notice I'm using 9.70 GIGABYTES of RAM when it is doing NOTHING. The only apps open as of this writing, are Safari and Activity Monitor. I only have one page open in Safari, specifically the Post New Thread window. How the $%@# can I be using almost TEN GIGABYTES of RAM, on IDLE!?!?!? This makes no sense to me! Can I get an explanation, please? Any help would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zeemeerman2 macrumors 6502

Inactive ram.
    Please refer to the yellow part to know how much of the actual ram it's using..

Inactieve ram means cache. Like when you close your browser, it becomes inactive ram. It's not used by your browser, and can easily be used by any other application, but if you decide to start your browser once again, it's much faster to start up, since it's in the inactive ram.

Hope this helps.

3. Steve.P.JobsFan thread starter macrumors 6502a

Steve.P.JobsFan

Well don't I feel like a 'tard! So, it puts the application under Inactive RAM, like iOS does with apps, right? Thanks for your help! You too, simsala!

4. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

What I did was change the color of the thing so it was simplified :D

Attached Files:

5. Jeremy M. macrumors member

How did you do that? Sounds like a good idea!

EDIT: :facepalm: It's so simple, yet I have never noticed... lol