Almost bought a Macbook today, but decided not to :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ripster, Nov 4, 2007.

1. ripster macrumors newbie

for now anyways...

I currently have an old 15in Powerbook G4 and really want a new laptop before Xmas. I really want something a little smaller than what I have and the Macbook looks perfect however...

-I kind of got scared reading this forum about the integrated graphics card. Although I'm not a hardcore gamer, I do like to play every now and then (maybe WoW and old N64 games via bootcamp/Pj64). Everything else is just school related stuff (word processing, internet, etc)

-and then I got really scared reading about the cracked cases that seem to happen spontaneously. That would drive me crazy having a crack like some of the pictures I saw.

So now I'm looking at the 15in MBP but that thing is a little bit bigger than my PB G4 and I really want something smaller so I don't know what to do.

I'm not even sure why I'm writing this; I guess maybe I will go ahead and buy a Macbook... I think the black ones are really cool looking! haha

Any insight? Should I just wait for something down the road? Argh!

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

My MB case is still fine, and N64 games run great (and it has a worse graphics chip than the latest one)...

3. amrk47 macrumors regular

go back to the apple store and get a white MB
    it can handle games just not the newer games

4. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I think it's important to remember that a lot of people join macrumors and post in forums to find out solutions to their problems. A lot of people are having peachy times with their Macs and don't even know about sites like these.

As far as MB verus MBP goes, I say, if money is no object, go for the MBP. I am happy I did. But no matter which you choose, definitely get AppleCare if you are going to travel with your laptop.

5. Xcolored macrumors member

Basically, this is how it goes:

Small, light: Macbook
    Performance: Macbook Pro

As for the cracks and problems, you won't have any. Having a serious problem with your MB or MBP is like winning the lottery (but bad).

Zack

6. alebar14 macrumors regular

alebar14

Hi there !

The new Macbook (Black or White 2.2 Ghz) would handle very well for your 'now and then' game system. At the moment, I am finishing my final stage of Diddy's Kong Country Quest of "K.Rool Duel" of SNES (Snes9x emulator). Of course, you can play N64 games (find sixtyforce emulator for mac version) without choppy. I play most Arcade games as well on MAME OS X emulator and MacMAME emulator without hesitation.

If you force, hit, abuse anything would go bad such as crack. So same goes to Macbook. As long as you are taking care your beloved Macbook..sure it would be your bestmate !

Go for the black Macbook and you will be in heaven.

7. diehldun macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think there's really THAT much of a difference in size between the 15" PB and the 15" MBP? :confused:

8. butterfly0fdoom macrumors 6502a

The MBP is slightly thinner and lightly deeper. Otherwise, they're pretty much the same.

9. BossHogg macrumors member

BossHogg

Macbooks are creating huge financial numbers for Apple for a reason.....solid product at a price John Q. Public can pay. As folks said above....we hear far less from the tons of satisfied customers out there. If you want one - grab it and enjoy. :D

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

The weight is really not a big deal. Relative to size and performance, the couple ounce increase in weight is nothing. Now if the macbooks were less than 4.7 lbs...now there would be something. I can dream can't I? :rolleyes:
    It's actually wider than it is deeper relative to the 15.2" Powerbook. The 15" Powerbooks were 13.7" wide and 9.5" deep. The new mbps are 14.1" wide and 9.6" deep.
    And who was doubting this?:rolleyes:

11. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Get the MBP, it's brilliant!!!!!!!!! If you're on a budget then go for the mid-range MB. I (highly) recommend the MBP tho. ;)

12. robby818 macrumors 6502a

I have a macbook (black) and i bought it specifically because i wanted a smaller laptop but in retrospect it really wasn't a good choice. The thing that you notice most ina laptop is weight and the 15" macbook pro and 13" macbook weigh about the same. The macbook is heavy for what it is. If it weighed 1.2 pounds less than it does now then it would be a good portable solution but as it is now you're not getting much in terms of portability by choosing the macbook. i think the macbook is a good choice if you are on a budget (students), but if you can afford the pro then it is a better choice, the extra 2" in screen space is big.

Apple really needs to make a pro model that is an ultraportable. that's what i really want.

13. boxandrew macrumors member

The Pro is a better choice because of the screen space? Won't the ultra portable have a smaller screen too?

14. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Agree, the larger the screen the better your productivity.

15. -Josh- macrumors regular

Well. Using Spaces sorta kills that issue doesn't it?

16. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Not really. Spaces doesn't let you view 2 pages side-by-side or have one web browser window open while being able to see it while tying on word simultaneously etc.

17. ripster thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys

I think I will buy the MB after all. Hopefully I'll be happy!
    :D:D

18. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

WEEEE it worked, now let's all laugh at him!!! :p

Just kidding, in all seriousness I'm still waiting to get one for my wife (she's getting the white 2.2 since I dont see paying the 200 black tax) but I know if I do I'm gonna want to play with it and in that time she'll find out and yell at me.

But good for you!!! Enjoy your new baby. Remember though Child support is a mutha.

19. koobcamuk macrumors 68040

koobcamuk

You really think that the 2" makes a difference? I would consider it if there was a HiRes option, like with 17" MBP, but there isn't. Thus, I think it's negligible...

The HiRes 17" on the other hand, has a better DPI than my ACD :eek:

20. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

2" makes a great deal of difference when you think about overall screen area. The 13" macbook screen has the following dimensions:

11.28" by 7.05" If we multiply these, we get 79.5" in total area.

The 15.4" mbp has the following screen dimensions:

13.06" by 8.16" If we multiply these, we get 106.59" in total area.

Now, if we compare them by dividing the mbp into the mb, we get: 79.5/106.59. This comes to 0.75(a little less, but we can round). Thus, the macbook is 25% smaller than the mbp in overall screen area. The converse is how much larger the mbp is over the mb, which comes to 1.34, or 34% larger. Thus 2" makes a great deal of difference.

21. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Oh yes, it does. It's hard to help my dad with my old MB (2.0 Black c2d) after getting my 15" MBP(2.4 ghz). Really I got the MBP for the graphics card, as I make complex 3D models regularly and the MB just wasn't cutting it. The MB was a very nice machine though, nice and powerful, can hardly tell the difference... but the integrated graphics are a downfall. I do love the MB, and would recommend it to anyone (who doesn't play modern games or 3D stuff). Get the MB this time, it was a happy day when I caved and got my MB in NYC (had been saving up for a MBP, but thought he graphics card wouldn't be that bad for my hobby...).

22. mikelong622 macrumors 6502

I just sold my 1.83 ghz MBP the other day and now I am going in tonight to buy a Blackbook. I figure I will get a bit faster processor, and I have an external monitor so the screen space doesn't bother me too much. Plus, after adding the Santa Rosa chip and the upgraded graphics card, there really isn't much else holding me back. I'm also sick of how easily that brushed aluminum finish scratches on the bottom. I couldn't be more excited. I get off of work in an hour and a half and then I am racing to the mall to pick up my new best friend.

Oh and by the way from what I've heard games will work fine on this. I know a good friend of mine is an absolute WOW addict and he plays on his MB no problem.

23. mavherzog macrumors 6502

Heck, there's not that much difference in side between the 15" MBP and the 13.3" MacBook. The MBP is only 1-1/3 inches wider and just over half an inch deeper than the MacBook. It's a meager 2/5 of a pound heavier (5.0 v. 5.4 pounds) and is actually .08 inches thinner.

IMHO, the 15" MBP is just as portable as the MacBook.

24. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

A good decision

I think it's a good choice. I spent a month or so researching before I eventually decided to go for the macbook (and am still on that decision, but have to wait to get it :( *cry*) But don't worry too much about the integrated graphics card. This PC I'm on right here isn't much, but it's got a 64MB Integrated Graphics card, half the processor speed, 1/4 the RAM of the MB I'm getting, or half the basic MB RAM, et cetera, and I can run games like Counter Strike, C&C3, older Battlefield games, more modern Sim City games, and most decent games. Nothing too complex, of course, but if you're not an extreme gamer, it won't matter too much. The MB now has a 144MB integrated GPU, compared to the old 64MB or my 64MB. Also, if you're running Boot Camp, that boosts it up a bit more. In other words: You shouldn't have any problems. I've never had a problem on the macbooks I've used.

25. eman macrumors 6502a

Save yourself a lot of money and buy a macbook on on Ebay. You can find a really nice one for $1000 or less and it may even have all the software you need and maybe even Applecare.
    I use my Xbox 360 to play games. Then hook my 360 to my Macbook and play online.