Almost bought a MBP from Fry's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mindflux, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I was all set up to buy a 2.4GHz last gen MBP from Fry's open box for 1709+tax, when I fired it up to check it and it had Tiger with no Leopard drop in disc.

With having to buy Leopard retail it made the deal not so good. Damn shame too.

That being said after tax on the machine I'm better off buying one from Amazon anyway.

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Isn't buying from Fry's dangerous to begin with? I used to live in the Bay Area, and the stories I heard about them, especially when it came to returns, were really frightening...

MacDann

3. Mindflux thread starter macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Not sure why it's any more or less dangerous than anywhere else? It was open box, but in fine shape and would have had 30 days to return it for problems.

If I could have gotten Leopard up to date for 10bucks I probably would have bought it.

4. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Fry's in the Bay Area had/have a reputation for making it near impossible to return anything. That being said, this is a recollection from almost ten years ago, but I'm sure if that's still the case there would be a fair amount of information about it on the Web somewhere...

MacDann

5. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

not really, teh fry's never gave me any trouble for returning/exchanging stuff. the line could be long at times, however.

6. MacBookJoePro macrumors regular

Yea I would stay away from buying big things from fry's. Some stories I've heard is that they inspect a returned product not only to determine whether it was used or not, but they also decide whether to sell it as an opened box or state it brand new. There a couple of things I bought there, Motherboards, that were stated as brand new but have obviously been used. Just be careful. Other times i've good experience there, they just have such good damn deals. :)

-JoE