Almost bought an Xbox 360 Arcade Bundle

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Andrew D., Jan 24, 2008.

1. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

So I went to another Best Buy today to check out if they had any Pro's in, none unfortunately. I asked one of the workers there if they were getting any in, he didn't know. But something happened, he was offering me the Xbox 360 Arcade Bundle + 20GB Hard Drive for about $370 after a $20 saving. He was pushing real hard for me to get it.. but then I kept asking "What isn't included, what am I missing". And after thinking about it I was actually losing money if anything. I just want to make sure I didn't pass up a good opportunity. I'm still going to wait for more Pro models to come in, so yeah. Cheers everyone!

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

In a few days, the 40Gig PS3's will be $299 - a much better value unless it's the XB360 games you want.

Maybe MS will lower prices to combat Sony?

3. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

4. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

If that's not an issue, go for the PS3 (though personally when I grab a PS3 I want a BC model). User-serviceable HD, Blu Ray and Wifi (with free online play/browser) are great pluses.

It has almost the same third party titles like Rock Band, Assassin's Creed and the upcoming GTA/DMC etc. plus you'll get exclusives like Killzone, Metal Gear, Ratchet, Resistance, God of War etc.

I've taken to using my Mac via Bootcamp as a Makeshift 360 ;) plays geometry wars, call of duty 4, orange box, bioshock, gears of war just fine ;)

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

It will play PSOne games. The 80Gig will be $399 and that one will play PS2 titles.

Point, MS will have to drop prices to combat Sony. A $299 40Gig PS3 with WiFi and Blu-ray is a much better deal than a $349 20Gig XB360 with just a DVD. Yes, tons more games for the XB360, but more future-proof with a PS3.

I expect the XB360 Premium to drop to at least the same price... The Arcade to $249, and the Elite to $399 (to match the 80Gig PS3).

6. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

:eek: Our 60GB was taken off the shelves and replaced ONLY with the 40gb. No 80gb model has ever reached our shores. I'd pick one up in an instant!

The best news I've seen is it'll be here "by the end of 2008". :( Oh, and I heard the 80GB is software emulation only (hope it doesn't make a real-world difference)

7. asxtb macrumors 6502

No 80GB model has reached our shores either. And I live in Japan! :eek: But here they still sell the 20GB and the 60GB along with the 40.

8. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

there is no 80GB anymore. Sony is getting rid of backwards compatibility w/ ps2. And xbox 360 has xbox originals and is backwards compatible.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

PS3 also allow you to buy PSone/PSP games over PSN. Xbox360 BC isn't all of that...a lot of games do not work.

Op...look at the games you want or are interested in and make your mind up from there.

Bless

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The 80 GB has not been discontinued yet, only rumored to be. Hold your horses.

And the XBox 360 can only play some XBox games, nowhere near the vast majority that the 80 GB PS3 can. And only if you get a model with a hard drive.

11. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Good choice in wanting to buy the Pro 360, and not the arcade. Here is a webpage that shows the differences in the consoles currently available. You'd be missing out on the xbox live headset, a network cable, and a standard AV cable rather than a component cable.

Xbox Versions

I'm not sure why everyone else here is trying to talk you into a PS3, when you stated that you were trying to buy a 360?

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

My 80gb PS3 works great for backward compatibility. I tried it on a 360 and it was really glitchy. But both system's bc isn't supposed work with all games so it was probably just the games I was playing.

My idea: Forget about backward compatibility and just buy a PS2/Xbox 1 and duct tape it to your PS3/360.

Back on topic: You shouldn't get an Arcade, it seems pretty feature-less.