Almost considering to buy a late 2012 in spare

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by grandM, Oct 17, 2014.

1. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

I have the late 2012
    Looking at the iMac prices I am already considering to buy a 2012 in spare
    Achieving the same cpu speed in iMac I would have to pay double to triple
    As ram is soldered I would save on that too
    darned

2. cinealta macrumors 6502

Many people bought iPod classics as spares before they were discontinued. An i7 will give good service for many years to come. Not a bad idea.

3. karsten macrumors 6502a

karsten

Refurbs sold out on apple online store looks like others had the same idea

4. grandM thread starter macrumors 6502a

grandM

Then again in 2 years the new mini ought to be better than the late 2012 I suppose

----------

I can still buy one. Just hesitating because I already have the late 2012. I am just afraid that in 2 years or so I would be confronted with having to buy an expensive iMac, the new mini not being very juicy. Soldered ram also equals much apple tax.

5. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

I love my 2012 Mac Mini lots of power. Love the SSD I installed. Great machine will last for years.

6. fathergll macrumors 6502a

I'm lost....why would someone buy a spare computer at todays prices? I could understand buying a iPod classic or a certain TV as a spare since they have a singular function....but a computer?

7. icerabbit macrumors member

I've got the same feeling. Wouldn't mind having another '12 quad i7 as spare. Because I don't want a down featured '14 one, and my gut feeling is that the next revision will be like a fat Apple TV, without any user accessible or replaceable parts. No upgrades. No fixes. Just toss it.

The only thing I see against it is getting 4k display.

Well, that and the vibes I get from Apple's UI choices, in both mobile and desktop. Time again to start looking around for alternatives in hardware and software.

8. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yeah, scarcity of the quad is messing with your head. Wait until the next revision, then get something with displayport 1.3.

9. loud0g40oz macrumors member

Agreed. If you already have what you want, run that thing into the ground THEN worry about what to do when the time comes. These things aren't classic muscle cars.