Almost every TV show/movie shows Mac users

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jan 1, 2009.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

But market share is nowhere close to the great comeback days of '98-'01 with iMac, iBook, TiBook, and the rage over every word of SJ.

Apple's site is a top #20 yet only for iPod related stuff and iTunes. Really fewer switchers than ten years ago.

What gives? I have four Macs, btw. One PC that never gets booted up. :)

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Its the complete opposite :confused:

Apple's marketshare whilst increasing somewhat, did hardly anything until 2005 when they transitioned to Intel. Apple's marketshare is now growing 50% year on year. Apple now represent 30% of all computer sales within the consumer market, third place behind Dell and HP. And Apple are the second most profitable OEM in the industry, and most profitable per unit sold.

Jobs did nothing, Ive did nothing, OS X did nothing, Intel and being able to run Windows is what made Apple huge.

Why would you think Apple's marketshare is not growing at the rate it was, or even decreasing?

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Apple had a huge spike from late-1998 into 2001 (one week pro and consumer laptops did 21% percent and one month, computers in general reached 14% percent) which has not been matched since then, and the nearly 80% percent market share of the Apple IIe will be impossible to reach again in any high tech market outside of Windows and the home/business operating system market.

Apple's total share (Macworld USA numbers) has not even resembled anything close to double digits in the 2000s counting the consumer and professional markets. I am within an hour of Apple's headquarters yet HP, Compaq, Toshiba, and Microsoft all have larger campuses there.

I was a part of the huge buying rush that was into the great blueberry iMac and iBooks. I bought an early clamshell and though it was $1599 and had only 32 megabytes of RAM, they were everywhere in my neck of the woods in Northern California.

As to how Macs have fared in your England, or Japan, or other countries, I don't really know unless I read through a foreign market Mac magazine at Borders/Amazon. Generally, what info I do read about foreign market share is positive news, and I wish us Northern California users, would wake up because we should know better, and as a populace, don't realize what we have in our own backyard.

You can go to any coffeehouse in or near Cupertino and you will see the Acers, Dells, and HP laptops with a few Macs here and there. The only place I see Macs approaching 30% percent of the computers is the local colleges' graphic design/audio/filmaking labs which are evenly split between Macs, PCs, Sun Solaris, and Silicon Graphics machines. When I am on the Stanford campus, not far from Apple, I can't see why most of the students still use PCs. What? To save money? These kids are not exactly cash strapped. I lived in London and you can compare the wealth of Palo Alto, Los Altos hills, Woodside to your Kensington and West End.

Now if you want to talk about US high end cellphones, we just outdid Blackberry in the last quarter (Macworld, Dec), and the MP3 market is all about iPod in the states. But I do hope this is the case in England, too. And all the other countries.

We have iPod vending machines in department stores in the states, so that part of Apple's market share is doing very, very well. :)

4. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

IDC numbers Mac market share of computers.

2006: 2.4% worldwide

2007: 2.9%

2008: yet to be computed but thought to be slightly lower than '07

These numbers reflect both consumer and pro models combined. But there are companies that use Mac for their big business level computing but there should be more. It was a good thing that some major US Army bases decided to use Apple servers, and that was a bump up from Windows NT 4.0 Server and IBM rackmounts and I was happy even though I became a Windows NT technician and was originally hired to work on an Army base as a computer guy. Conflict of interest? ;)

When I did talk about Macs to fellow DoD civilians, they scoffed at me even though the Pentagon thought it was eventually safer to use Macs for some the US Army servers. Many corporate servers, while using IBM or Dells, went to using Linux as an operating system and eventually realized the security breach of Windows NT, originally stated as having "Level 2" security, Department of Defense standards, whatever that means.