Almost everything you need to know about Apple as a computer company

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snouter, Apr 13, 2010.

1. snouter macrumors 6502a

Did it strike anyone else as a little weird that Apple could not even let the fairly major MBP release grace the home page for even one day?

[​IMG]

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

All you need to know is that they are no longer called "Apple Computer Inc."

3. highscheme macrumors regular

4. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

That was def the shot across the bow when they switched the name up... but you'd think that for at least one day, they'd hype the MBP launch just a little bit...

I'm a developer and I get it, mobile devices are the future. I still built a PC desktop last year and love the i7 920 power that no mobile or laptop device can compare to. I still want to game, edit video, model and render 3d, etc.

Sure, I can facebook on my phone, but the computer is not dead yet, and may not die for a long time...

5. MacW macrumors newbie

Yet they force you to have a computer in order to get these gadgets to start working the first time around...

6. Repo macrumors 6502a

Repo

Smells like money... and passive-aggressive commercial ads.

7. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

And an iPad isn't a computer now?

Come on folks, this is starting to get downright stupid. iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad are just as much 'computers' as a MBP, iMac or Mac Pro. For most people the iPad would serve the computing needs and give a genuinely easy to use and enjoyable experience into the bargain, far more than a traditional desktop would. For those who need more there's full-blown desktop / laptop hardware which offers more flexibility in exchange for a steeper learning curve and more money. Why is this so hard to understand?

As for the iPad being the main focus of Apple's marketing blurb at the moment... if it wasn't they're doing something wrong! Anyone who would be swayed by a spec change on the MBP will ALREADY know about it thanks to every gadget blog reporting on it today. Job done, move on. The iPad is a brand new product and is the current big hype generator in Apple's arsenal. Of course it's going to be on the front page.

Honestly, I've never known a group to be so collectively whiny as Apple fans. Well, maybe Doctor Who fans I guess, yeah, they're worse. If Apple followed the whims of those who spoke loudest on here they'd be a minority player in a slowly dying market that's consuming itself in a rush to the bottom (that'd be the PC space btw...).

So yes, it does tell you everything you need to know about Apple as a computer company. They recogise that the PC market is mature and will, by and large, tick along on its own. They recognise that ALL PC makers are going to have to get into the consumer space in order to survive long term. They recognise that with the iPad they've launched the first true non-techy orientated computer and it has a chance at creating a whole new market. And they've recognised that the best thing they can do is ignore the ignorant minority who post on forums about what Apple's doing wrong just because it doesn't fit their world view without any thought to a larger picture.

Yeash.

8. gagaliya macrumors 6502

No you are the stupid one if you think iphone and ipad are computers now. Soon my alarm clock will be a computer too...

9. snouter thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lol, I hear you on the Dr. Who weirdos, but the rest of your points, meh.

My point is, this is a big launch for for an overdue product with a big ticket price that is important to the company and it can't even get front page play for a day.

Seems like only yesterday it was the year of the laptop, lol.

Are people writing iPhone apps on Ipads? Um, no. Was the Apple web site authored on an iPhone? No. Apple's TV commercials are not edited on iPads either.

Like I said, no one doubts that devices are the future, especially for media consumption, but the computer is a long way from dead.

I went to Best Buy on launch day. Flicked around an iPad for 5 minutes left. I get it. I just wasn't that interested.

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Apple's position in the computer industry is assured. Clearly they view the tablet market as a "must win" for the company. Their focus makes sense if you look at it from that perspective.

It seems to me that their marketing challenge is to continue launching new products without defocusing on the iPad along the way.

/Jim

11. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

The iPad is almost a splurge product. Not so with the MBP. People who are wanting to buy the MBP will do so and they will notice the banner. Others will simply be informed in stores.

Apple is not doing anything wrong; at least the MBP update is in the bottom centre of the screen, not to the left or right!

12. kolax macrumors G3

The iPad is a new product that Apple is trying to promote and get sales.

The MacBook Pro is just an update, nothing huge. New CPU's and GPU's. Nothing that warrants the definition of a spectacular update.

The iMac update was big - it was new screen aspect ratios, the Magic Mouse as well as the Core i5 and Core i7 variations.

Had the MacBook Pro seen a huge re-design, such as a new aspect ratio and a new feature (e.g. Blu-Ray) then they'd have waited until the iPad hype was over and stuck the MacBook Pro on the home page.

You are reading between the lines and talking rubbish!

13. pinksatin macrumors member

pinksatin

Buy a PC if you hate the way Apple rolls... Otherwise leave the business decisions to the people that know what they are doing.

14. smiddlehurst macrumors 65816

Wow, that's quite a compelling argument you've got there sparky... wait, no, the other thing... without merit, that's the one.

Let's look at the iPad for a moment here: Yes, it needs a computer to do the initial setup but you can have that done for you in the Apple Store so let's assume you are handed one ready-to-use out of the box. You can:

Browse the web
    Check your e-mail
    Search for and install applications
    Search for and purchase media
    View said media
    Search for, purchase and read e-books
    Create word processing, spreadsheet and presentation documents
    Play games equivalent to a modern handheld console in terms of graphics.
    Etc Etc Etc

Are there limitations? Yes. Do they disqualify the iPad (or any similar device) from being a computer? No, not in the least and for the VAST majority of people it'd do everything they'd normally use a PC for. Some of those limitations will be filled by software as the app library develops, some are inherent in the platform (the obvious one I guess being lack of access to the file system but, and I really do mean this, if the applications and OS are written correctly there's NO reason an average non-techy user should need direct access anyway). The one limitation I'd say is a realy painful one right now is lack of printing support. Actually, sorry, two limitations, you can include lack of over the air updates to the OS in there as well. But that doesn't disqualify it from being a computer.

I dunno, maybe I'm being cynical here but I really suspect those ranting about this are around 15 years old and have only ever known the modern (post Win95) PC world. I'm considerably older than that and I can remember a time when a computer was tape-driven and command-line based if you were lucky enough to afford one. This idea of a computer only being a computer if you can rip it apart, install your own OS and do all these arbitrary tasks on it strikes me as ridiculous.

15. eazyc10 macrumors member

After a hiatus on these forums for awhile and getting a break from "forum life", I tend to agree with this

While you can definitely feel the lack of attention Apple is giving to the more "traditional" computers, you cannot fault them for innovating the marketplace. 4 years go there was no such thing as a touch screen mobile device (iphone) Now look at the mobile market and see what competition is doing. I'm very interested to see the next few years and how the ipad changes home computing.

16. coloursinmyhead macrumors newbie

I'm going to have to strongly agree with smiddlehurst on this one. The iPad fullfills the vast majority of computing needs for the vast majority of the public.

As a content producer that lives in Final Cut all day, the iPad won't do the trick while I'm in work-mode. But for most of my casual computing (i.e. web browsing, iChat/Adium, with iTunes playing in the background) in my free time, the iPad would be just fine. And the vast majority of Apple customers just don't live in their professional-level, CPU crunching software.

I, like many of the hardcore users who frequent these forums, wish the latest MBP update brought the line up to the front line of cutting edge mobile computing. For better or worse, high-end computing is simply becoming the niche as the low and middle end has become powerful enough to handle most users' tasks just fine.

17. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

If it was a computer, you wouldn't need a computer and have to connect it to a computer to have working in the first place. Second, if it was a computer it would have AT LEAST an usb port.
    Would you call a bike, a car just because it has wheels and it moves around as such?
    "yeash!"

The problem people are having here is that Apple seems to not care about their computer fan base anymore. I agree, the iPod, iPhones and iPads make more money but still there are a lot of people out these who feel that Apple has alienated them when it comes to the computer part of the company. They are delaying software and hardware updates as well. I think everything needs to be balanced.
    The iPads, iPhones and iTOuches have "proprietary" software which Apple makes a large amount of profit on, there goes to show you that all they care about is profit, they can careless about their die hard fan base.