Price Advice Almost new Titanium Powerbook, sell or keep? (Updated w/ pictures)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nanotlj, Oct 19, 2012.

1. nanotlj, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

nanotlj macrumors regular

I believe it is the last version TiBook apple released: 1GHz with DVI.
    There is a little scratches (not sure where it came from) near one of the corners of LCD cover. Otherwise it is new and rarely used. All original including boxes and unopened CD. The original battery has only 4 charge cycles and lasts ~4 hrs. It is a great looking machine but is not much useful/powerful today, and probably does not have much market value.
    Would like to hear your opinion if it is worth to keep it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Depends on specs IMO. If it's 400 MHz one, I'd sell it. If 867 or 1 GHz, I'd keep it. Last two can be useful for some tasks, first one not so much.

3. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

If it is a TiBook and not an AlBook then it will only be 400 or 500mhz. There's not enough information for us to tell. For collecting sake a titanium powerbook is probably more valuable than a later aluminum one, but you can do more with the aluminum ones because of the CPU speed increase.

4. skateny macrumors 6502

skateny

What he said.

I might keep it even at 400MHz, since resale is low and based on its condition.

5. nanotlj thread starter macrumors regular

That is not right. Mine is last TiBook apple released: 1GHz with DVI.

6. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Since when? :p

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powerbook_g4/index-powerbook-g4.html

400 and 500 were original TiBooks, up to 1 GHz were called just TiBooks.

Keeeeeep it! :)

...and upgrade RAM to the max.

7. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Original TiBooks were made out of titanium, the later ones are aluminum if I remember correctly. You are right though they went up to 1ghz... my bad, quite a cool piece of computing history. I would keep it.

8. California macrumors 68040

California

It's the best Tibook made, only one with 64 vram.

Nice. I think there was an internal bluetooth module made just for that model and I also believe it was the only model with two cooling fans.

9. nanotlj thread starter macrumors regular

Just not so useful to me even after upgrade, maybe except kept for a collector item.
    Wonder how much it will worth on market.

10. California macrumors 68040

California

Not sure. Saw some yesterday going for under fifty bucks, very used. Post pictures of the box and stuff.

11. nanotlj thread starter macrumors regular

I think you are right. Mine is the last version with top configuration. It may be a great collector item without the corner scratches.

12. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

Probably less than $100 unfortunately and at that price it would be another reason to keep it. With a Maximum RAM ceiling of 1GB its probably going to struggle with Leopard though, but with a PC card you can run an external SATA HDD if you want to give something faster a try.

13. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

When judging purely from performance and app support perspective, sell it because people still bid high even though many of them have no idea what G4 means etc. I do still have some G4 machines but don't really have any purpose for them to exist in my "PC collection", especially for the PM because it feels slower in web browsing than my cheap Android -tablet with 1.6Ghz Dual Core processor...

If you like old computers then it might be a different thing. Never owned TiBook but I guess they are durable, altough I have read that the paint usually wears off making them look like c*ap.

14. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It typically works out that the first and last models of any line are the most desirable. Since yours is the last, its probably worth even more because it was so much faster than a 400MHz model with a better screen, MUCH more VRAM and more than double the CPU power. Its also the fastest PowerBook that will boot Mac OS 9 natively, so thats a plus to some collectors too. I've got an 867Mhz version of that PowerBook (same year, just lower end) and its still a great computer. The screens on the TiBooks are really good.

15. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

All of the Tibooks were made out of titanium. That's why they are called Tibooks. After their redesign at 1Ghz, they were made out of aluminum. This does not apply to the 12" Powerbooks.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

17. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

It's nice to see one that is so clean, normally they're beat up and falling apart.

I disagree with the opinions on the value. If you put that on eBay with those pictures and the original box I would think that could bring $200, perhaps even a little more, from a collector.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

My son has this exact same model. It's beat up, but I got it for $25/w shipping on eBay from a business equipment liquidator in New York City.

The screen was broken, so I swapped it with the screen from my broken TiBook/400 and it had no hard drive so I put in one of my spares. The shift key fell off about a week later with no way to repair it. Just this week got my son another keyboard so everything is now good. The screen is smaller resolution of course and there are dings and knicks, but this Mac is a rocket and has the max ram of 1GB.

My son uses Leopard on it with no problems.

I would think you could ask for $100 if you wanted to sell. I wouldn't take any less than $75 as the Mac seems to be in real good condition and it looks like you have all the original stuff it came with. That's just me though.

19. Ariii, Oct 19, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2012

Ariii macrumors 6502a

Ariii

The DVI TiBooks are pretty powerful... If you need a dependable web-browsing/text-editing/etc. machine, and are fine with using slightly older versions of software, then keep it.

If you wait long enough, you could probably sell it for over $300, since it has the original box.

Also, having Leopard on it bumps its price up a lot :).

20. PowerPCMacMan macrumors 6502a

PowerPCMacMan

Titanium PowerBook - Should I or not?

Hello,

Although my main machine is a powerful 1.67 Powerbook G4 1.67 DLSD, I also have the G3 Pismo - Now called G4 Pismo running 550 mhz. Is it worth it to me to get rid of the Pismo for the last Titanium PowerBook? How much faster in graphics memory is the last Titanium PowerBook compared to the Pismo?

I like the Pismo as its the best laptop Apple ever made, and its highly respected since it also is the most expandable out there. They don't make em' like they used to anymore.

What would I gain from going to the last Titanium PowerBook? Could it run Leopard and support Quartz Extreme?

21. orestes1984 macrumors 65816

The Pismo is the last truly expandable Mac Laptop, drive bays, battery bays, PCMCIA card slots, but at 550mhz its dragging its heals more than a little bit. You won't really gain much in terms of GPU performance for tasks that require modern computing. I think the Pismo is probably more of a collectors item than the TiBook. Less of them made and few still in usage/the broader market.

I'd keep it and buy a faster intel based MacBook if you need something faster, you will only gain CPU speed from going to a TiBook.

22. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The pismo's GPU is very underpowered for OS X. The last generation Tibook's is vastly better. While it won't have CoreImage, it does support QuartzExtreme and it has 4x or 8x the VRAM. It also has a slightly faster bus speed and a faster HDD bus interface.

23. J.Appleseed macrumors regular

J.Appleseed

Wow, what a gorgeous machine! Incredible mint condition as well, and the display seems really crisp and clear.

I personally wouldn't sell it, what an awesome computer :eek:

24. cocacolakid macrumors 65816

cocacolakid

The Pismo was great, I loved mine. I still have one lying around here somewhere, but it's just so dated now. But that was the most expandable Mac laptop ever.

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I would buy off you right now but you're in the US.