Almost Ready to Buy Except for Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by TallManNY, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TallManNY macrumors 68040

TallManNY

I think I'm going to buy a Mac Pro. But one thing that is keeping me from doing so is that I can't settle on a monitor. The ACD seem outdated in many ways, but I can't find a good review of a reputable S-IPS based monitor. I want a monitor that is better than the ACDs. They must exist since the ACD technology is two years old. But I can't seem to figure out which ones to get. It is very difficult because manufacturers rarely advertise the underlying technology of their monitors.

This confusion is making me consider the iMac. But then it seems foolish to buy that until the upgrade comes out. (And even then the good play for iMacs might be buying the earlier model refurbished. That's quite the price point difference from the Mac Pro and monitor.)

2. amik macrumors regular

3. SeanEE89 macrumors regular

Look at the new 24" and 30" Dell Widescreen monitors, but be warned they are on the expensive side; The new 24" is $699 and the new 30" is $1999. Since updated they are easily the best monitors (my opinion). I say that because you have all the connectors for expandability and amazing pictures as well. You might also want to look into Samsung which have the highest reputation for the performance/value ratio and LG which to many peoples surprise makes great products.

4. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I've been very happy with my Dell 3007WFP-HC. Definitely worth considering.

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

unless you need hdmi for something id go with an acd, not only are they great (the panels do get updated from time to time) they are covered under the pro applecare if you get them together (just got a 30" with my mac pro and loving it)

6. Soop53 macrumors regular

Soop53

Depends on what you are using the Pro for... I have the Samsung 245BW which is a great 24" for the price.

7. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

8. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Prefer no gloss, but not a deal breaker either way. I have the Santa Rosa Macbook, which is glossy. I notice gloss a bit, sometimes I turn down external lighting a bit to mitigate it. But it doesn't really bother me.

Are all these suggestions S-IPS panels? I don't think they are and I don't think, from what I hear, that the PVA pannels really cut the mustard. I've got a Dell PVA 24 inch monitor at work and it has viewing angle problems when I move my head half a foot to the side left or right. I can use it, but I'd rather do better. I can drop $800 on a 24" monitor, I just want to get good value for that expense, especially since the goal is to use it with this computer and with my next Mac five years from now.

All I want is a high quality, but still consumer level, monitor. That is what the ACDs are, but it is basically the same pannel from two years ago (400:1 contrast just doesn't compare to latest Dell contrast of 3,000:1). It is really crazy that other manufacturers don't make high quality consumer electronics to fit this need. I guess that is why I like Apple stuff.

9. iPapa macrumors member

Contrast ratio for the ACDs is 700:1, not 400:1. But never mind that. Yes, other brands have a higher contrast ratio, their stats might look better on paper than those of the ACDs, but truth is, Apple's displays are incredible (although I'd like to see a refreshment, for example more outputs like HDMI, integrated iSight).

In fact, the ACDs are so darn good that I just went out and bought a 23 incher today. It will go very well with my shiny new 2.8 octo MP that arrived this morning (8 gigs of OWC memory and 3 Samsung spinpoint F1 750GBs will be my slaves too). Too bad that I'm at work right now and don't have the chance to play with all these goodies. But soon, very soon...:cool:

10. TallManNY thread starter macrumors 68040

TallManNY

Amazing that they still stack up to the other companies after all these years.

11. divedude macrumors member

divedude

12. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

just got my 23" acd with my mac pro, and am loving, it has to be the best quality screen that i have ever looked at. Plus, it looks great o the desk with the wireless KB and MM and of course, both the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro:D (am a very happy person right now!!!)

13. amik macrumors regular

The HP LP3065 I recommended is S-IPS and I picked one up for under a grand.

14. snagitseven macrumors member

Got tired of waiting for ACD 30" refresh and went out an got one.
    Very glad I did. It's an amazing monitor for color accuracy (I do a lot of photo work) and I can light a room with it. After calibrating, it's spot on.
    I've tried a few games on it and I see no discernible lag or smearing.
    Exceptionally pleased. (I am NOT a fan of glossy screens either).

15. Bob Jovi macrumors regular

Go with a dell, they are great screens for the price!