Almost ready to purchase a Mac Pro 09.. Quick speaker question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zepharus, Jul 11, 2009.

1. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I currently have this set of speakers that I would like to connect..

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/speakers_audio/home_pc_speakers/devices/224&cl=US,EN

It uses a 3 plus system to connect to my SB Xfi right now. My question is how would I connect this to the Mac Pro and if I did, would I still get 5.1 surround in games and apps that support that?

this is the last piece of the puzzle as Im close to a MP and GTX 285. thanks in advance

2. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

for the mac pro, well the simplest option is the Firewave, made by Griffin, now discontinued but available on ebay for about $20 or so. They work really really well.

The only concern is compatability with 10.6. no one has any idea if the drivers will require a rewrite for 10.6, but we'll see...

3. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

I use the same system. For 5.1 sound all you need is a fiber optic digital audio cable (optical) - Male TOSLINK to Male TOSLINK.

4. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

I thought about the TOSLINK, I have my direcTV receiver plugged in there now guess Ill have to work around that...

SO.. If I connect with OPTICAL, anything that can play in 5.1 surround will? does this include games such as WoW and using bootcamp windows?

5. TK2K macrumors 6502

TK2K

well what formats does your internal decoder support? (that is, the decoder in the speakers)
    the mac pro itsel doesn't decode 5.1 audio, it passes it through for the reciever to decode.

6. zepharus thread starter macrumors 6502a

zepharus

Taken from the specs page for the speakers. It supports the following...

# Hardware decoding:
    Dolby® Digital, DTS®, and DTS®, 96/24 soundtracks
    Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music modes)
    6 Channel Direct
    Stereo x2
    Stereo
    # Supported digital formats:
    Dolby Digital
    DTS and DTS 96/24
    PCM (uncompressed stereo): 44.1 kHz / 16 bit through 96 kHz / 24 bi