Almost ready to throw out Mail.app -- save me!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dtrimble, Sep 10, 2008.

1. dtrimble macrumors member

I love Mail.app, but I'm so beyond frustrated with the weird problems I've been having that I'm actually thinking of abandoning it for Entourage. :::gasp:::

Someone, please help me -- ANY thoughts on how I might be able to isolate the cause of the following problems would be much appreciated. Even if you don't have a solution, ANY thoughts would be helpful:

* Frequently crashes upon startup, and must be restarted (manually, not using the crash window's Restart button). Almost always, starts up fine the second time. Plugins I have running: GrowlMail, WideMail, Daylite. This problem has been going on since well before I ever installed those three plugins.

* I am CONSTANTLY having to rebuild every mailbox. Emails disappear from the list, change subject lines, and so on. I'm using IMAP4, but don't use server-based folders; I store everything on my mac after I move it out of the inbox.

* And the WORST problem of all: VERY, VERY frequently when I reply to an email (mostly with Reply to All messages, but often with just replying to the sender), I'll type out the message, hit send, and the message window closes, but no email is sent, nor stored in the sent items folder....and here's the real kicker: there isn't even an Outbox with the email waiting in it. If I do a Spotlight search for the text of the email, it will always come up, and it shows it located in my main inbox (but of course, it doesn't show up in the inbox within Mail, although I can open, delete, etc. the message through Spotlight or Finder). Typically, I'll find the email, copy the contents, paste it into a new reply, send again, and delete the original. Maybe 70% of the time it works the second time around. The remaining 30% I have to go through this process 2, 3, 4, even 5 times before it will actually send.

So far beyond frustrated...any help would be appreciated. I don't want to stop using Mail, and love it's seamless integration with iCal and Address Book, which other clients don't have. But I have to get past these three issues or I won't have a choice.

FWIW, I'm using a MacBook Pro, 15", 2.33 Ghz dual-core, 3 GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM, and running OS X 10.5.4, and Mail 3.4 (928/928.1).

Dan

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about your email issues. Some more info may help get your answer:

How many email accounts do you use?

Which email provider are they?

What settings did you use?

Did the email provider have specific directions for Mail.app?

3. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

I'm using only 1 account, which I access through IMAP. I do have the option to do POP3, but I prefer IMAP if possible.

My provider is Pair Networks, www.pair.com.

I know it is not my vendor, nor my account settings. I have used these same precise account settings for years, and have used the same vendor continuously for more than a decade. In fact, I used the same settings with Mail.app before and it worked flawlessly. It wasn't until I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Mac OS three months ago that I started running into the problems.

My incoming server is mail.dantrimble.com, and my outgoing is relay.pair.com. Pair provided specific instructions for setup with Apple Mail, and other than where to find each field, there is no difference from any other clients.

Oh yeah, one other problem...Mail.app will mark a message as Junk, but it doesn't move them to the Junk folder, despite my preferences setting it to do so.

Dan

4. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Pretty simple, remove and readd those plugins one by one. Chances are two of them are conflicting with each other :)

5. dtrimble thread starter macrumors member

I did, last week. There's no apparent conflicts, and the problems persist even without any of the plugins installed. As I noted earlier, the problems also existed before the plugins were even installed.

Dan

6. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

I have a similar problem. I have two IMAP accounts, but suddenly Mail requires a restart after sleeping in order to get e-mails. Without a restart, the program simply keeps spinning its wheels while checking each account.

Interestingly my primary account settings are slightly different on the iPhone than on my MacBook, but iPhone always works, and so did Mail. Any ideas? :confused:

Host: Media Temple

MacBook Incoming
    Host Name: mail.XX.com
    Server Port: 993
    Use SSL
    Authentication: password
    IMAP Path: INBOX

MacBook Outgoing
    Host Name: mail.XX.com
    Server Port: 587
    Use SSL
    Authentication: password