Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
If there is no significant change with the Gm I will think about downgrading my 6S. Battery lasts shorter than my 6 with iOS 10 and device seems laggy especially the springboard.

Also, note app crashes when I open it - anyone having the same issue and knows a fix?

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
Feels faster on the SE with iOS 11 beta 10 vs. iOS 10.3.3

Anyone with an SE should feel comfortable upgrading afaic

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
Sample size of one vs the internet. Others a reporting a very positive experience.
It’s on video. I am having the same experience.

Please share a video with different results and explain how to archive them.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Why should I share a video? Someone says their 7+ is running great on iOS 11, I'll take them at their word. The op though seems to be the poster child for all things gone wrong with Apple products through the years, same products that I have with no issues. That's why I get a second opinion from the internet.

As soon as iOS 11 is out as GM, my 6s and 7 is being updated.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Why should I share a video? Someone says their 7+ is running great on iOS 11, I'll take them at their word. The op though seems to be the poster child for all things gone wrong with Apple products through the years, same products that I have with no issues. That's why I get a second opinion from the internet.

As soon as iOS 11 is out as GM, my 6s and 7 is being updated.

This is complete nonsense. I am already running the GM and before I installed it I tried out iOS 10 and it does not have this delay. Plenty of people in the Beta thread have it. Provide a video of your 7 on iOS 11 vs a 6 or 6s on iOS 10 if you want to make your point.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
This is complete nonsense. I am already running the GM and before I installed it I tried out iOS 10 and it does not have this delay. Plenty of people in the Beta thread have it. Provide a video of your 7 on iOS 11 vs a 6 or 6s on iOS 10 if you want to make your point.
Nonsense, plenty of people said they don't have this issue. As soon as ios 11 is out gm, my 7 and 6s are being updated and I'm sure both with be stellar.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Nonsense, plenty of people said they don't have this issue. As soon as ios 11 is out gm, my 7 and 6s are being updated and I'm sure both with be stellar.

Can you please explain why this issue is occurring with a clean install? The others may find it acceptable. I don’t.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
This slowdown is one of the reasons I upgrade annually. This delay and freezing even on the GM drives me up the wall whenever I try to use my phone.

No matter. Just 10 days before I enjoy smooth operation with the iPhone X which will likely be perfect in all aspects.

If anyone want their 7 to stay 100% smooth, stay on iOS 10.3.3

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

i7Guy finds an iPad 2 usable on iOS 9 and never has any issues with iOS even on betas. So no point asking for his opinion.

gobikerider

Suspended
Apr 15, 2016
United States
This slowdown is one of the reasons I upgrade annually. This delay and freezing even on the GM drives me up the wall whenever I try to use my phone.

No matter. Just 10 days before I enjoy smooth operation with the iPhone X which will likely be perfect in all aspects.

I'll update because my iPhone 7 has a stutter when pulling up the Control Center, irritating and from what I've seen on A8+ devices iOS 11 is smooth as butter.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017

FWIW, the iPad Air 2 with A8X (which is roughly as fast as A9) is fine on iOS 11 beta... for the time being. It's not as fast iOS 9 was, but it's OK. It's certainly nothing like iOS 9 is on the iPad 2. See below.

The 7 Plus with A10 Fusion is more than fine with iOS 11 beta.

OTOH, I found the iPhone 5S (A8) getting noticeably slower even with iOS 10.

i7Guy finds an iPad 2 usable on iOS 9 and never has any issues with iOS even on betas. So no point asking for his opinion.
Hmmm... I had an iPad 2 and it is painful on iOS 9. However, I upgrade my iDevices to the latest iOS versions for compatibility reasons. For example, the latest version of Netflix won't even load on anything less than iOS 9. I only use the iPad 2 for Netflix and YouTube, for the kids. Incidentally, the latest YouTube also requires iOS 9 or later. Trying to surf on this is very frustrating.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
It runs excellent on an iPhone SE. Though admittedly, the iPhone SE is an extremely fast phone to begin with. I've seen mixed results on the iPhone 5s. And I'm growing concerned with how poorly the iPhone 6 seems to be aging.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Can you please explain why this issue is occurring with a clean install? The others may find it acceptable. I don’t.
I can't tell you why something doesn't work on any one persons phone, nor can I tell you why others are reporting no issues. This has basically been the case since I've been following MacRumors for the last few years. Theories that have been put forth, is that people can't discern what the issue is, there is no issue, there is an issue and people are seeing things that aren't there. You take your pick.
[doublepost=1505147947][/doublepost]
You're "putting words in my mouth". I never said I "never had any issues", that is a long stretch for any piece of hardware and software. What I did say is that I don't see the issues you are seeing. All in all it is what it is. People have been reporting various things about the various GM release and betas for years. With millions of devices there is sure to be some variability, but IMO, some of this is overblown.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

Broken Hope

macrumors 68000
Jan 15, 2015
It's not even fully optimised for current devices, animations can be fairly choppy on an iPad Pro 9.7.

I expect them to optimise better in later releases.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
OTOH, I found the iPhone 5S (A8) getting noticeably slower even with iOS 10.

Hmmm... I had an iPad 2 and it is painful on iOS 9. However, I upgrade my iDevices to the latest iOS versions for compatibility reasons. For example, the latest version of Netflix won't even load on anything less than iOS 9. I only use the iPad 2 for Netflix and YouTube, for the kids. Incidentally, the latest YouTube also requires iOS 9 or later. Trying to surf on this is very frustrating.
iPhone 5s is A7.

Curious, why not just use older versions of Netflix? Surprisingly, even Netflix 2.2.1 on iOS 4 still works. Caveat, newer features aren't supported. A5-based devices, I probably would've just kept on iOS 7.

Reactions: gobikerider

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
iPhone 5s is A7.

Curious, why not just use older versions of Netflix? Surprisingly, even Netflix 2.2.1 on iOS 4 still works. Caveat, newer features aren't supported. A5-based devices, I probably would've just kept on iOS 7.
Thanks for the correction.

Yes, older versions of software do often work but as you mentioned, you don't get new features, and eventually, old versions also run into weird problems, and you can't troubleshoot because nobody cares about them anymore.

Mind you, I have to admit I despise the current version of Apple Music. I actually prefer the music play on my old iPhone 3G.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
I can't tell you why something doesn't work on any one persons phone, nor can I tell you why others are reporting no issues. This has basically been the case since I've been following MacRumors for the last few years. Theories that have been put forth, is that people can't discern what the issue is, there is no issue, there is an issue and people are seeing things that aren't there. You take your pick.
The issue is there. Its not difficult to discern. Clean install iOS 11GM iPhone 7 is factually slower than an iPhone 6 running iOS 10. I showed it above to you in my video. It not a hardware flaw as I have rechecked multiple times that iOS 10 doesn't have it.

Whether people find it acceptable or not is another story altogether. But he issue is there and there is no denying this.If you want I can downgrade the iPhone 7 to iOS 10 and upgrade iPhone 6 to iOS 11 and it will look like the iPhone 7 is mercilessly destroying the iPhone 6 far worse than it should. Some members in the beta bread were justifying the delay as the system waiting for input for the second tap to appear switcher. Some members just refuse to believe this issue is there and buried their heads in the sand,despite showing visual evidence.

If you ask me Apple has messed up something regarding accessibility. On ios 10 if you set the click speed of the home button to slow it matches iOS 11 speed exactly.

You're "putting words in my mouth". I never said I "never had any issues", that is a long stretch for any piece of hardware and software. What I did say is that I don't see the issues you are seeing. All in all it is what it is. People have been reporting various things about the various GM release and betas for years. With millions of devices there is sure to be some variability, but IMO, some of this is overblown.

The issue is not overblown. The iPhone 7 was one heck of a fast phone and there were zero stutters from te day I got it. Why should I bear these annoyances when the phone which beats the MacBook Air in benchmarks should steamroll the OS

Last edited:

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I haven’t had too many issues with speed on my iPad Pro but I surprisingly had a HUGE decrease in speed on my 7+ (this was on an earlier beta though). I didn’t even notice when I was using it until I downgraded back to iOS 10 and it seemed blazing fast. I expect they’ll finish optimizing everything once the final GM is actually released

Reactions: Radon87000
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.