Alochol on Cloth to clean MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jungiii, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Jungiii macrumors member

I quoted someone's post in a cleaning thread but because of lack of responses i wanted to create a thread instead.

I have googled and read many threads and a certain amount of people wrote that they used alcohol on a cloth to make it damp and then would wipe their MBP's clean.

I have a 15" 2011 (march) unibody alum. laptop, it's a bit dirty and i wanted to use alcohol to clean it becuase it's all i have in the household laying around. The question is can will the alcohol have any effects on the aluminum palm rest near the trackpad, or on the black keys for the keyboard? i dont want to warp or fade the black color or the white font, or even worse create little abrasion holes into the aluminum palm rest.

Sorry, might be a dumb question to ask but it's been bugging me and i really want to do a cleaning tonight ^^.

Thanks for the input and help guys.

Oh by the way, if you have any other household items that you use i am open to suggestions. :)

2. cherishzm macrumors regular

I'm not sure what others use to clean their Macbooks but I do use alcohol and smooth paper towel to clean all surfaces including the keyboard, but clean the screen with the supplied black cleaning cloth. Did not find any issues after cleaning with alcohol.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

4. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I dampen a microfiber cloth with water (then ring it out) to clean mine. Then I use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe any remaining dampness off.

5. Nielsenius macrumors 6502a

This is the best way to clean the display. The fibers in a paper towel can cause scratching and wear. For everything other than the screen a wet paper towel is fine.