Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Holy sh*t... now I don't think ANYONE saw this one coming!!! :eek:

So then... this raises the stakes doesn't it... Kimi Vs. Alonso would be a fantastic showdown, but I can't see Kimi sticking it out at McLaren after '06 myself, and there's been rumours linking Schumacher to Red Bull Racing. hmmmmm.

Either way.... :eek:

Rinky dink link

Thoughts?

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
W....T....F?

This has to be a mistake!

Where's Flavio on this anyway? I can't see him being happy....

But this puts a whole new face on things for '07.

EDIT: It probably drove Alonso crazy to know that he was driving a car that was inferior to the McLaren in pace, but with Newey gone how long will that superiority last?

iGav

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 9, 2002
Lord Blackadder said:
True, but I thought he was also head honcho at Renault, and Alonso was his big find....

Maybe he know's something about Renault that we don't???

Also highlights his conflicts of interest just nicely doesn't it. :eek:

This announcement though... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I never could wrap my brain around Briatore being both Alonso's manager and team principle at Renault.....

I still don't know what to think. I would think McLaren won't get rid of Kimi, so JPM is on shaky ground. But I can't see Kimi and Alonso being bosom buddies any more than Senna and Prost, especially after last season's results. :eek:

Then again maybe Kimi is planning on jumping ship too. He should go to Renault - their cars don't break down unless your name is Giancarlo.:rolleyes:

But seriously, what does this mean? I think it portends more top driver changes in the near future. (Ferrari)

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
YES!!!! YES!!!!

I think this will leave Renault stumped to be honest.... I think McLaren / Ferrari are very keen to get back in there and take it back from Renault, they only won anyway because Ferrari & McLaren have had a bad season.

I like alonso and now i think he's even better :)

I definately think Juan Pablo / Alonso will race for McLaren and Kimi will go elsewhere....

Now if they fix the damn cars so they are more reliable, everyone knows they are fast!

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
So...

Kimi wins 2006 wdc and gets to have #1 in 2007, which puts Alonso to #2 ;) this is also good news for Heikki Kovalainen, who is likely to have a drive at Renault then...

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
.....Alonso still has a shot at the '06 title - he is definitely a top-level driver even if he isn't quite on Schumi/Kimi's level. It mostly comes down (I think) to how much better Ferrari and McLaren's cars get, and whether the '06 Renault can keep pace.

'07 is guaranteed to be an interesting season, assuming F1 is still around.:rolleyes:

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Counterfit said:
This is the second time in *counts* 4(?) years where Ron has signed a driver a year before they were actually available. Maybe this is where Jenson got the idea. ;)

Crikey - I hope we never see the likes of Buttongate again, ever.

This is a massive move for Alonso though, and talking of tricks up sleeves, there must be more than meets the [public] eye at McLaren.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Lord Blackadder said:
True, but I thought he was also head honcho at Renault, and Alonso was his big find....
Yes, but remember that Flavio isn't interested in anything but Flavio. If he can operate a team on a relatively small budget and win, he'll do it. If it means shipping out his World Champion to another team, willing to stump up millions of dollars, even better. He can get his 10% of that and still operate the team on a shoestring, whilst both are winning.

That may make little to no sense, but this seems to be a popular move by Flavio. Remember that while Trulli wasn't the greatest driver in the team, he ditched him for this year and Trulli got an improved deal, (I believe), from Toyota. Trulli is still one of Flavio's drivers too.

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Don't panic said:
so I guess the 2007 kimi-valentino line-up is one step closer to be true.

but it was a real shocker indeed.
I would prefer Alonso and Rossi in the same Ferrari, but you can't have it all I guess.

I would like to see Schumacher take one last title next year, then retire, rather than draggin his career on and on. He once stated he would continue as long as he felt he was still up to winning the championship, I wonder how long he will hang on if he doesn't win next season.

JFreak

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2003
Tampere, Finland
Lord Blackadder said:
Alonso still has a shot at the '06 title - he is definitely a top-level driver even if he isn't quite on Schumi/Kimi's level. It mostly comes down (I think) to how much better Ferrari and McLaren's cars get, and whether the '06 Renault can keep pace.

Yep. There are a handful of drivers that can fight for the title if they are provided the right tools by the team. It really all comes down to the car, as we saw this year: Renault made it more often to the finish line than McLaren, so therefore Alonso took the title and Kimi didn't.

Reliability brings titles with this current point system. Alonso had it this year, but there are so many changes between seasons that nobody can predict which team will be the most reliable next year; historically McLaren has been able to benefit from rule changes (slicks to grooves and turbo engines to regulars for example) so let's hope we'll see another 1998-like season and Kimi winning the championship ;)

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
If I was a driver I really wouldn't want to be one of Flavio's boys. He is a player of power politics and has a number of seperate interests in F1. If you were in the way of one of his schemes he might move you to another team to make room for somebody else, and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Lord Blackadder said:
If I was a driver I really wouldn't want to be one of Flavio's boys. He is a player of power politics and has a number of seperate interests in F1. If you were in the way of one of his schemes he might move you to another team to make room for somebody else, and you wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

Interestingly, Flavio is quoted in the London Metro today as saying he played no part in Alonso's move and Alonso himself instigated the move.

Not sure if I believe that, but if it's true, it may have made Briatore's big old eyebrows move up a millimetre or so.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
AlBDamned said:
Interestingly, Flavio is quoted in the London Metro today as saying he played no part in Alonso's move and Alonso himself instigated the move.

Not sure if I believe that, but if it's true, it may have made Briatore's big old eyebrows move up a millimetre or so.

I could see that scenario - Alonso is a competitor, and he knew that the McLaren was superior car in all but reliability. He wants to drive the fastest car if he can.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
After reading this I'm convinced that my original idea (Flavio will be p*ssed off) is correct - Looks like Alonso completely bypassed him and negotiated the contract himself.

Hold on to your butts, this will make the Buttongates look like a kids birthday party.

EDIT: sorry about the double post. :eek:

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Whether Flavio knew about this deal or not, I am not sure he should have as much power as he does. I have always been against team principles and others in the sport managing drivers. Martin Brundle, (ex-driver and now ITV commentator, UK), manages David Coulthard and while he tries to stay impartial in his comments on the Scotsman, I can't help but feel he shouldn't be managing anyone. I believe he has quite a senior role in the BRDC, (owners of Silverstone), so his interests stretch over a few different areas and possibly conflict at times.

Edit: Brundle I think is Chairman of the British Racing Drivers Club, so hardly impartial in his views on Silverstone. I personally would like to see the British Grand Prix move around a bit more, Brands Hatch, Donnington etc getting a fair shot once in a while. I also think the German GP should be at the Nürburgring and the European should move around, (including those previously mentioned), as Hockenheim no longer has the uniqueness it had a few years back, so can easily be removed.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
steve_hill4 said:
I also think the German GP should be at the Nürburgring and the European should move around, (including those previously mentioned), as Hockenheim no longer has the uniqueness it had a few years back, so can easily be removed.
I think it's stupid for Europe to have a GP, seeing as more than half the entire series is held there. Heck, why don't we have a GP for every continent that already has a GP eh? C'mon, we could have the North American GP at Mosport, Leguna Seca, or Watkins Glen. The South American GP could be in Rio. The Asian GP could be at wherever the Japanese GP was held prior to Suzuka. And that would mean Australia would have another GP, so I guess Adelaide makes a comeback. :rolleyes:

steve_hill4

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2005
NG9, England
Counterfit said:
I think it's stupid for Europe to have a GP, seeing as more than half the entire series is held there. Heck, why don't we have a GP for every continent that already has a GP eh? C'mon, we could have the North American GP at Mosport, Leguna Seca, or Watkins Glen. The South American GP could be in Rio. The Asian GP could be at wherever the Japanese GP was held prior to Suzuka. And that would mean Australia would have another GP, so I guess Adelaide makes a comeback. :rolleyes:
I'm all up for Adelaide returning, but as a replacement for Melbourne and remember in the 1994 season there were two GP in Japan. Suzuka hosted the Japanese GP whereas Aida was the destination for the Pacific GP.

While I do agree with the potential removal of the European race, I think if it continues on the calendar, it should change every year. I do apologise for drifting off topic though.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
I agree that there is a lot for conflict of interest in the sport, it seems like things are pretty rotten at the top in the FIA and F1

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
steve_hill4 said:
While I do agree with the potential removal of the European race, I think if it continues on the calendar, it should change every year. I do apologise for drifting off topic though.
That's not a bad idea. Bring back Jerez, Estoril (if possible), and Brands Hatch, and probably a few others too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.