Alpha Channel in After Effects Question?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MattSepeta, Nov 5, 2009.

1. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

I just started using AE yesterday, and am still trying to wrap my head around it. I used to do all my compositing directly in FCP, and am trying to learn to do it the "right" way now :confused:

So I am created a TV in photoshop, and have a really long film strip type thing that I want to run behind the screen part of the TV, horizontally. I no that in FCP I would open up the nested TV psd and put the film strip behind it, and make the screen of the TV not visible.

In AE, I am wondering how to do this. I have a feeling I would use a mask or an alpha channel, and am still trying to figure it out in AE. Any tips would be awesome!

2. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

Hi Matt!

In After Effects, when you import your PSD file, you should have the option to import it as Footage or as a Composition. Choose Composition, and it will import your footage as a new comp, with layers (and their transparency) still intact, similar to the way FCP handles them.

Good luck!

Attached Files:

3. MattSepeta thread starter macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Ok, great

Thanks for the answer. I actually just made a mask with the pen tool and reversed it, reversing it was what was giving me the grief.

Thanks again!