Alpha Layer in Video

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jmarkt, Jun 26, 2013.

1. jmarkt macrumors member

What process do you use to export a video with alpha layer (using green screen), from iMAC that can be viewed with WMV or Win Media Player?

I've attempted to export via Compressor, and even followed a tutorial using Motion, but no matter which format I chose, Media Player couldn't properly play the video. Most often, it played the audio only?? Any help would be sincerely appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

It depends on the codec and container you chose to export the video with. Which codec and container did you choose?

ProRes 4444 can store alphas for example, but H.264 cannot.

3. jmarkt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply. The closest my version (6) of FCP is ProRes422. Should I have ProRes 4444 resident in FCP Vs. 6??

4. simsaladimbamba

Try this, to lose the render files.

Duplicate the sequence, press CMD+A, then CTRL+B and again CTRL+B.
    Now export the duplicated sequence as QuickTime (MOV) with Animation as codec and Millions+ for colours.

5. jmarkt thread starter macrumors member

You da' man! That worked. Apparently, in the future I should not render, and simply export as you have instructed??

Thanks very much for the direction/help!

6. simsaladimbamba

It depends. If you use the correct footage, for FCP it is ProRes, you do not need to render many effects, though chroma keys might be a bit different.

And if you need to preserve such information in future edits for use in another application, those settings are often recommended.