Alphabetize Files in Finder while ignoring "the"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Anthropogenesis, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Anthropogenesis macrumors member

I like the way iTunes organizes files with regard to alphabetizing. It ignores articles like "the" or "a." Is there a way to get Finder to do that too? I have thousands of files that I would like organized that way.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I think the answer is no if confined to the OS. There might be an app for that. (?)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Like Gregg2, I don't think that's possible in Finder. However, you can quickly and easily rename such files/folders, removing the leading "The" or "A", using an app such as Name Mangler.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You could either write a shell script to produce a listing and then strip/sort it out. Or produce a shell script listing and then import into excel.

They type of functionality does not exist in any OS

5. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

I agree, a shell script might work. Something where you pipe the output of ls through awk and grep and sort ignoring "a" and "the". Another option might be to mangle the names so the old file name is something like "The Collection of Ants" and the new file name is something like "Collection of Ants, The".

The renaming is something that can be done in a shell script and then you'll see them sorted the way you want them in finder from now on.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

...or you can name a file "Twelfth of Never, The" ;)