Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Hello, I've just about had it with Launchpad. I would be fine If I could alphabetize my apps once and leave it that way, but right now, it's just infuriating! I organize them the way I want them to and then SOME GHOST MOVES THEM!!!!

GAHHH!!!!!!!! :mad:

Is there any way to keep them from moving... I'm seriously OCD and this is a *problem* :p

Laugh if you must, but help me!!!!! :eek:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
it IS horrible, and things just move around.

go to macupdate, there are a couple of apps that let you ORGANIZE the apps.
i have ONE page, with apps grouped the way i want.

apple needs to incorporate SOME sort of organization for launchpad...

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
it IS horrible, and things just move around.

go to macupdate, there are a couple of apps that let you ORGANIZE the apps.
i have ONE page, with apps grouped the way i want.

apple needs to incorporate SOME sort of organization for launchpad...

I don't so much mind having to organize them. Is there any way that they will STAY where I put them?

That's my biggest issue. I'm actually OCD and when they move around on me, I have to go back and fix it. For some reason, none of the apps on my first screen change (those are all the apple apps)

The ones on page 2 and 3 do keep changing, however. And it's awful :/

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
try "launchpad control" (at macupdate).
you can, at least, backup what you've organized, so you can recall it when u need to.

launchpad, as such, is a mess...

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
try "launchpad control" (at macupdate).
you can, at least, backup what you've organized, so you can recall it when u need to.

launchpad, as such, is a mess...

I agree. and Thanks, I'll give it a try. But seriously, I hope apple releases a fix soon! :(

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
Hello, I've just about had it with Launchpad. I would be fine If I could alphabetize my apps once and leave it that way, but right now, it's just infuriating! I organize them the way I want them to and then SOME GHOST MOVES THEM!!!!

GAHHH!!!!!!!! :mad:

Is there any way to keep them from moving... I'm seriously OCD and this is a *problem* :p

Laugh if you must, but help me!!!!! :eek:

Paste this in Terminal:

sqlite3 ~/Library/Application\ Support/Dock/*.db "DELETE from apps; DELETE from groups WHERE title<>''; DELETE from items WHERE rowid>2;"; Killall Dock

After you've done this, you'll have to manually add your applications by dropping them on the Launchpad icon in the dock. If you add all of your applications at the same time (by selecting them all and dropping them on Launchpad's icon) they'll be alphabetically sorted like this:

First page will be filled with Apple applications
Second page will be filled with non-Apple applications.

In my case, the bug appears when I uninstall an application. To avoid the "shuffling", I open Launchpad and move the application I want to uninstall to the bottom, and then I uninstall it.

Last edited:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
this is annoying to me as well. anytime i install an app or remove an app or just do nothing at all things get moved around. its crazy how poorly thought out this was. Yes i like it, and yes i want to use it, but apps don't move around on my iPhone or iPad, so why is it acceptable that it happens on my Mac?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
launchpad control works pretty well; i organized my most-used apps, one page. backed up the database (thru the sys pref). and all is (mostly) well.

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Paste this in Terminal:

After you've done this, you'll have to manually add your applications by dropping them on the Launchpad icon in the dock. If you add all of your applications at the same time (by selecting them all and dropping them on Launchpad's icon) they'll be alphabetically sorted like this:

First page will be filled with Apple applications
Second page will be filled with non-Apple applications.

In my case, the bug appears when I uninstall an application. To avoid the "shuffling", I open Launchpad and move the application I want to uninstall to the bottom, and then I uninstall it.

AH!!! :D Yes!!! Thank you so much! worked perfectly. And the best part is that you told me when/how the bug occurs. So I'll be extra careful about that now (and use your suggested drag to the bottom fix) :) :)

EDIT: On a side note, I found that apple put in some interesting slow versions of the animation. :) hold down shift + Cmd and F3 or Shift + Cmd + Launchpad Icon (in the dock)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.