Alphabetizing in word

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
I don't think it's possible in word. I would import the file into excel then alphabetize (by using sort) it then save it (may have to save as a text file). Then open it back into word.

Nuc

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
If it were me, I'd save the words as a text file (or copy it into TextEdit and save it from there), then go into Terminal and type
Code:
sort xxx.txt > xxx.1.txt
where xxx.txt is the name of the original file, and xxx.1.txt (or any other name) is a sorted version of it.

Then open that second file, and it'll all be sorted.

How to do it in Word? Dunno.

iSaint

macrumors 603
It's a bullet feature. You can choose the type of bulleting you want to use on the Bullets and Numbering toolbar.

EDIT: DOH! I was thinking creating a list.

I've sorted tables by column that were in Word. Table>Sort

You can hide Gridlines under the same toollbar heading so you won't see them.

Attachments

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
for some reason the terminal method, suggested by jsw, said i didn't have access to the file. Nuc and iSaint, your ideas were great, but I was feeling too lazy to make a table or excel workbook, so i found http://flap.tv/alphabetize.php. really quite handy! thanks to all for the suggestions.

skybolt

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
Nashville, TN, USA
From within Word, just select the list of words you want to alphabetize and then Table>sort> and choose by paragraph. Easy -- though like most MS products, not intuitive! Who would think to go to "table" when you are not working in a table???

iSaint

macrumors 603
skybolt said:
From within Word, just select the list of words you want to alphabetize and then Table>sort> and choose by paragraph. Easy -- though like most MS products, not intuitive! Who would think to go to "table" when you are not working in a table???
Ok smarty pants, you're right. No need to create a table to sort. :D Just kidding on the sp comment.

never knew that one, dang youngster showoffs!