Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
From the company that brought up the first aftermarket AND OEM solutions, has anyone heard a peep about iphone integration?

angrygolfer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2007
PA
Sort of a quick recap of my situation: I have an Alpine cda-9856 (2006 model) with the iPod cable. Everything works fine. The only issue I have is that if you don't turn on Airplane Mode on the iPhone, you get interference through the stereo speakers if a call comes in while the iPhone is still connected to the iPod cable. I called Alpine earlier in the week. They said they are testing it with all their products. When I brought up the static they said that Apple will need to release a firmware update to fix that.

I'm not sure I buy that but thats what they told me.

woodbutcher

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
I went to replace my 3 yr old alpine headunit, the face does not always work when it opens. So anyway, I went to a local high end electronics store (ABT) and the salesperson was nice enough to try my iphone with the newer iDA-X001...it was a definate NO GO. there were errors on both the iphone, and the head unit... good news is, the bluetooth add on worked flawlessly. so for me, I will leave my 80 gig ipod in the glovebox, and let the iphone work just as a phone

tasslehawf

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 13, 2003
Austin, TX
I went to replace my 3 yr old alpine headunit, the face does not always work when it opens. So anyway, I went to a local high end electronics store (ABT) and the salesperson was nice enough to try my iphone with the newer iDA-X001...it was a definate NO GO. there were errors on both the iphone, and the head unit... good news is, the bluetooth add on worked flawlessly. so for me, I will leave my 80 gig ipod in the glovebox, and let the iphone work just as a phone

Does it transfer contacts over bluetooth? Can you make and receive calls for the ida-x001?

I am going to pickup a new HU when they make something that is full integrated.

yotaguy

macrumors member
May 22, 2005
Does it transfer contacts over bluetooth? Can you make and receive calls for the ida-x001?

I am going to pickup a new HU when they make something that is full integrated.

I have a 9857 headunit and it actully works very well with my iphone.

It controls the music just like it did with my 8gb ipod. If the phone rings the music fades out like with headphones and i can answer without any issues.

I have component speakers and a seperate amp so that could be why I dont have any interference

fishtank22

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2004
Another Option

I read all the poor reviews on the Bluetooth unit for the Alpine decks and decided to go a different route for my iPhone and save $150+

I have the iPod Direct cable from my Alpine unit to my phone, but that only outputs the music from my iphone. Would have been great if it also allowed the audio from my phone calls, then I could have just used the mic on the iphone and have a decent speakerphone call. But it doesn't so what I did was use the AI-NET adapter (not the iPod Direct Cable) from the alpine deck to create an RCA out for my AUX input. I ran a RCA-to-headphone wire to my iphone.

Now, when I get a call, I plug that wire in the top and hit the source button on my alpine deck to goto the AUX source. My calls audio comes in through the stereo, the iphone things I have headphones plugged in. Sounds great. I just need to keep it close to me so the mic picks up my voice. I leave it o my lap. works great.

When the call is over, I just hit source back to the ipod Direct connection and I'm good to go. Make sense? saved me a lot of money, works great.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I too have a cda-9856, and it works flawlessly. I dont really want to answer my phone in the car, so thats not an issue. I dont get static or interference either (I drive a Citroen C2, with all the other audio equipment stock).

If i really wanted to have call access in car, I'd use a bluetooth headset. Listen to music, it fades, I answer on the headset, hang up, then the music continues. Perfect in almost every way. I've even slung together a DIY dock so that I just plonk my phone in and go!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.