Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
I had a Alpine ILX107 and it was meh. It was way overpriced and they just never updated the firmware. It would randomly disconnect and has major GPS issues. It was discontinued soon after release.

I would never buy any Alpine unit again.
Back in 2015, I purchased the model before that one, the ILX 007, and it didn't work for me.

I used it for a week, and could not get the sound right. I didn't even use the built in amp, just the preamps, but it sounded horrible.

There was not a lot of customization with the EQ and audio settings.

What was worse, is that Alpine had a paid-for iOS app to adjust some of the audio settings. It was only $3, but still annoying.

I paid for the app in a desperate attempt to get the sound quality to a decent level, but it ended up being junk and not worth it.

I returned it for the return period ended.

I wouldn't rule out all Alpine head units in the future, but the ILX 007 was a huge disappointment.

The MAIN thing you want to look at, with all these head units, is how the screen behaves under bright sunlight.
It's astonishing how bad the screens still can be, impossible to see with bright sun behind or on your side, compared to an actual iPhone screen...
I can totally understand this being important for most people, but for the vehicle I have in mind for a hovering head unit like this, bright sunlight isn't an issue.

I care more about audio quality, placement of the display, and having physical buttons.

Last edited:

GadgetVirtuoso

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2018
Fort Worth, YX
The screen looks great but this is DOA without wireless CarPlay and Android Auto. If you’re spending $700 on a stereo without that you’ve wasted your money.

Killbill2

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2017
I recently paid about $225 for a CarPlay for my old 2009 Honda and replaced the original navigation and couldn't be happier. It stays flat and integrated into the dash and doesn't stick out. I don't think people need to spend that much money. I don't know how I survived without CarPlay all this time. I don't even want to replace my car anymore.
Good point, would be nice knowing what you bought not just the price so we have some perspective. I found this Medium article talking about cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Alpine products just don’t cut it anymore IMHO. The screen on this is pretty ordinary compared with Kenwood, Pioneer and Sony products.
the Pioneer equivalent to this Alpine even has wireless carplay.
pioneer and kenwood both have systems for less with better screens and wireless carplay. To think how the mighty Alpine has fallen.

Last edited:

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Does any after market receiver work with my 370Z’s climate controls? I’ve always thought I’m stuck with the Nissan unit if I want to be able to see the temperature & fan speed when I turn the climate control knobs.
Most of these aftermarket head units only work with the Double DIN (Deutsches Institiut für Normung) standard (178mm x 100mm) slots for the original entertainment unit in the car which is a stereo only (and might need a replacement fascia on your dashboard as well) as that is the size big enough for a decent screen for carplay.

there is a limited range of single DIN head units for even older cars, like this alpine with a stick out monitor as Si GME DIN is to small for a decent sized monitor for carplay.

but if the electronics of the car such as A/C are integrated into the stereo the answer is no. You can’t replace your OEM head unit.

Basically most cars newer than somewhere around post 2014 have this problem, so aftermarket head units is a diminishing market. For cars like you have, what you need is a carplay monitor that can be mounted anywhere, even on the windscreen, and just plugs into your auxiliary port on your existing unit for sound. Coral Vision make one, about $325 with wireless carplay. The only neg is the dangly aux and power cables.

Last edited:

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
but if the electronics of the car such as A/C are integrated into the stereo the answer is no. You can’t replace your OEM head unit.

Basically most cars newer than somewhere around post 2014 have this problem, so aftermarket head units is a diminishing market. For cars like you have, what you need is a carplay monitor that can be mounted anywhere, even on the windscreen, and just plugs into your auxiliary port on your existing unit for sound. Coral Vision make one, about $325 with wireless carplay. The only neg is the dangly aux and power cables.

This could be true if you were replacing *JUST* the head unit and didn't also add a device such as the iDatalink Maestro which handles translating things such as AC controls, steering wheel controls, vehicle configuration controls, and and other various vehicle functions to the replacement head unit.

See iDatalink - Maestro - Maestro RR for more information and to check exactly what is and isn't supported for a particular vehicle.

I'd suggest that folks interested in replacing their vehicle's head unit go chat with the folks at Crutchfield to find out exactly what is and isn't possible, as it's difficult to ascertain the specifics of compatibility from generalize posts in a MR thread.

xTIMMYxCOREx

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2015
Tampa, FL
Most of these aftermarket head units only work with the Double DIN (Deutsches Institiut für Normung) standard (178mm x 100mm) slots for the original entertainment unit in the car which is a stereo only (and might need a replacement fascia on your dashboard as well) as that is the size big enough for a decent screen for carplay.

there is a limited range of single DIN head units for even older cars, like this alpine with a stick out monitor as Si GME DIN is to small for a decent sized monitor for carplay.

That’s what I thought. Physically I can replace the unit. But I would lose my clime controls read back and I’d just have to guess what temp I am dialing in.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
That’s what I thought. Physically I can replace the unit. But I would lose my clime controls read back and I’d just have to guess what temp I am dialing in.
See my post above - there's likely a solution to that issue.

I'd recommend you check your specific vehicle make/model/year with the iDatalink people to find out what specific functions are / aren't supported before writing off the idea.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
Alpine products just don’t cut it anymore IMHO. The screen on this is pretty ordinary compared with Kenwood, Pioneer and Sony products.
the Pioneer equivalent to this Alpine even has wireless carplay.
pioneer and kenwood both have systems for less with better screens and wireless carplay. To think how the mighty Alpine has fallen.
You got a link or a name for the Pioneer one?

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
You got a link or a name for the Pioneer one?
it was featured here a month ago

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: bpeeps

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Just to compare, I bought the Alpine ilx-w650 a couple of years ago for my Tundra. At the time it was a pretty cheap way to get CarPlay for only $300. It doesn't have many bells and whistles, and is wired, but I've had no problems with it.

Hammerd

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2019
Tim Apple
Most people that don't have screen in their cars have budget or old cars

Then why would they spend a thousand dollars to get an additionnal screen???

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Most people that don't have screen in their cars have budget or old cars

Then why would they spend a thousand dollars to get an additionnal screen???
Because they like their old car but want carplay?
in my case a 2011 Mazda 3 SP20. Still like new and only 70,000 kms in the clock.
I installed a double din wireless carplay kenwood with a hires capacitive screen using an aerpro fascia and harness kit. I also put in reverse cam and dash cam (with lane guidance and close vehicle warning) all integrated with the head unit. This was all done as my daughters have started to drive.
Before:
A8F4B59D-1FC3-4A0E-B65D-1A9401EF9262.jpeg

After:

06C7D00A-ADA6-4C47-A89A-57B353A50ECF.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
I’ve been installing Alpine products in my vehicles since 1995. This thing is garbage. 480p, glitchy laggy interface and a ridiculously minimal amount of connections.
If you’re interested in something like this, go with the Kenwood DMX1057XR.
It’s better in every way.
Alpine used to be the gold standard in car audio. Now they make outdated plastic monstrosities and sell t shirts and Bluetooth speakers.

Last edited:

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014

Wrong. Maestro iDatalink. Let’s you retain most of not all OEM features like steering wheel controls, climate control, Sync and OnStar when paired with a compatible head unit. With vehicle-specific wiring harnesses it even simplifies the install.

Reactions: deeddawg

bassjunky

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2009
Texas
Because they like their old car but want carplay?
in my case a 2011 Mazda 3 SP20. Still like new and only 70,000 kms in the clock.
I installed a double din wireless carplay kenwood with a hires capacitive screen using an aerpro fascia and harness kit. I also put in reverse cam and dash cam (with lane guidance and close vehicle warning) all integrated with the head unit. This was all done as my daughters have started to drive.
Before:
View attachment 1735851

After:

View attachment 1735849
Looks great, but for $1200??

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
I paid around AUD$700 on sale for the Kenwood with reverse cam. The dash can was around AUD$200, the fascia AuD$70 and harness wiring was expensive at AUD$200 because of the Bose amplifier as I recall. Most cars would not need such expensive wiring.

enhanced driving pleasure? Priceless.
the car itself is probably only worth about $10G but I plan to keep it a long time. So it is worth it. Not the sort of thing to do with a car you plan to sell.

Last edited:
Reactions: kc2kth

kc2kth

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2009
WVGA display? Yuck. I have a Kenwood 9906 and 9907 xr with 720p, never going back to 480p again.
Kenwood definitely is the gold standard for aftermarket HU, especially when it comes to touchscreen performance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.