Already activated iPad wants to be set up as new?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by n1ck, Aug 19, 2010.

1. n1ck macrumors member

My iPad got stuck on the apple logo so dfu'd and restored to latest firmware. Then restored from month old back up and reinstalled all missing apps - all working fine.

However when I connect it to iTunes it says it's a new iPad and either wants to set up as a new iPad or restore from backup? If I do either option I'm going to be back to square one and have to reinstall everything.

Anyone know of a way round this? Is the iPad stuck in dfu mode even though it's working?

Also if I connect to another pc with the same iTunes account will it work or will it wipe it?

2. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

You can't restore it from a backup, if your iPad backup has been lost.. I believe iTunes only keeps the latest backup.

3. n1ck thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to restore it - I want to back it up - but iTunes thinks it's a new iPad and wants to delete everything. It's like it's partially stuck in dfu mode.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

5. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Oh I get you!

So long as the iPad is in working condition, and has all the data on it. Connect it to iTunes, RIGHT CLICK the iPad in the Toolbar along the left handside, and click Back Up. Then do the same and click 'Transfer Purchases'.

Should get all your stuff off it :)

6. n1ck thread starter macrumors member

I only get the option to eject if I right click - it's as if iTunes thinks it's a different iPad to the one that I synced last time?

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Very strange.. I think your computer thinks it's never seen the iPad before... I'm sorry, Calling AppleCare is going to be your best bet, I can't figure it out; sorry.

8. ac921ol, Dec 19, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2015

ac921ol macrumors regular

so wondering if anyone has figured out how to fix this issue, Im trying to backup my ipad, and its only getting recognized as a new ipad and wants me to restore or set up as new.

figured it out.

Choose 'set up as new.' This should just dismiss this landing page. iTunes hasn't seen it before, so it's new to iTunes. The restore from backup option would restore the device, and it doesn't sound like you want that.

9. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Setting up as a new iPad will not wipe your data. Select that option.

EDIT: Just saw your above post.
    Oops! Glad you figured it out though :)