Already bought a Mac Pro - why didn't somone here warn me there would be new ones!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Dempsey

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
1,617
3
Title says it all, I can't believe no one warned me there might be updated Mac Pros.
 

KevinPlusPlus

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2007
92
0
USA
Title says it all, I can't believe no one warned me there might be updated Mac Pros.
Believe it or not, the great folks on these forums have not mastered clairvoyance to read your mind and know you were going to buy and then contact you. This may be the information age, but you still have to seek out the information, it doesn't come to you when you automatically [yet!]. :)
 

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
676
0
Kalifornia
Relax and enjoy it. I got mine a few months ago while there was talk that an update was due. I didn't care and just bought it, I couldn't be happier.

As far as not being warned, well, you just gotta comb through the forums. There has been lots of talk about the pending update but nobody knows when it will happen anyway. Apple will not announce it because people will stop buying the current model and wait for the new one.
 

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
404
0
I'm honestly amazed you missed it considering its almost everywhere in these forums. That being said, don't worry about it. The machine is fantastic and you'll enjoy it.
 

product26

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2005
774
10
yes, blame others when there is a BUYERS GUIDE AT THE TOP OF EVERY FREAKING PAGE ON THIS WEB SITE THAT TELLS YOU EXACTLY HOW MANY DAYS SINCE AN UPDATE AND IF IT IS SAFE TO BUY OR NOT
 

Lord Nerdos

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2007
71
0
Osaka
I bought mine 6 months ago and then they go and spread rumors that there might be one possibly coming out in the near future. And with improved technology!!!:mad:

I'm NEVER buying apple stuff again!!!

Why can't they just stick to the present model forever and then mine will never be out of date...

They are SO inconsiderate and they have the audacity to announce a new OS!!!

:rolleyes:

PS And another thing that gets me mad - people posting ironic comments! Don't they realise that sarcasm CANNOT be communicated on forum posts??!!?
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
Warning ....

New iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, iPods, iPhones, other hardware, computer and software product by Apple is scheduled for update.

And eating too much food will make you fat. but I make already be too late with my warning.
 

giantrobot

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
63
0
Me too

I just bought one yesterday and ran into this rumor on Digg when I got home. Does anyone know whether I can just return the thing? It sounds like the new ones will be coming out in about a month and I would rather wait. Should I just hold on to the one I have -2.66 dualcore?

Any advise would be most welcome.
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,308
1,249
It depends on where you bought it from. If it's a stock model purchased from the Apple Store and you haven't opened it, you can return it for a full refund. Otherwise it's a 10% restocking fee.

As for whether it's worth it to wait for a new model, only you can really answer that question. Yes, they could be releasing new Mac Pros soon. Or it could be like last time and they could wait from five months from this point...nobody here really knows. You have to weigh the expected benefits against the time you'll be without a brand-spanking-new machine until the new ones come out.

There's always something better around the corner...
 

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
14,874
57
I saw the thread and realized he needs a slap upside the head ... I was waiting for somebody to do it.

Then finally realized I can do it. :p

 

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
5,212
0
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
We Had The Most Popular Thread In All The Mac Pro & Power Mac Section All Year Long

I just bought one yesterday and ran into this rumor on Digg when I got home. Does anyone know whether I can just return the thing? It sounds like the new ones will be coming out in about a month and I would rather wait. Should I just hold on to the one I have -2.66 dualcore?

Any advise would be most welcome.
I started the
2007 Harpertown Stoakley-Seaburg Motherboard With New Graphics Cards 8-Core Mac Pro
thread the day Apple shipped the Dual Clovertown 8 core Mac Pro - April 4. Where were you all? Living a life? Some of us don't have lives so we do this instead. ;) This thread has consistently been the most popular in all of the Mac Pro PowerMac section near the top of the list on page one all year long.

1462 Posts with 79,509 views to date second only to the Photoshop benchmark thread in views with almost three times as many posts.

So it would be hard for you to say you couldn't find it. :rolleyes:

You can take it back for a full refund if you didn't open it. If you opened it you have to pay a 10% restocking fee. But it'll be worth it or you might be able to talk a manager into giving you a full refund with no restocking fee.
 

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
4,931
54
England
I see the post I made that was just "troll, troll, troll" was deleted, perhaps I should have elaborated that this thread is the troll as the threadstarter is well aware of the rumours surrounding mac pros as can be seen from his post history.
 

giantrobot

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2007
63
0
Its a tough call for me. The primary use will be running Logic 8 in a DAW and the 266 Woodcrest should be able to handle it. Is the main advantage of the new HSS the 8 core performance? Its unlikely that I would need 8 cores in the future so perhaps there is no point in my returning my pro and waiting for a couple of months. A significant factor is whether the new models will have a similar entry level model at a lower price as is rumored. This happened to me on the mini. About two weeks after picking up the single core pentium, Apple dropped the model and started selling dual cores for the same price as the single core. If the new MPs end up being the same or cheaper than the woodcrests, then might as well wait for that and get more for my dollar.
 

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
467
0
I just bought one yesterday and ran into this rumor on Digg when I got home. Does anyone know whether I can just return the thing? It sounds like the new ones will be coming out in about a month and I would rather wait. Should I just hold on to the one I have -2.66 dualcore?

Any advise would be most welcome.
A rumor is a rumor, it's NOT fact. A new Mac Pro may be coming out next month, OR NOT. It might not be coming out until mid-to-late January. It might be coming out later. Are you prepared to wait till mid-January or February?

It's like last April, when I bought my Dual 3.0. There were rumors that something was coming in June, I still bought in April, and I'm happy I did.
 

saltyzoo

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2007
1,065
0
I'd rather have one at the end of the run anyway. Let some other shlub work them through the bug fixes.
 

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
1,451
122
Umm, didn't you see the buying guide at this website??

it pretty much tells you the odds new models are coming and the historic timelines for new models.
 

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
17,308
1,249
And...we're done here.

Thanks, all, for participating. For those who didn't notice from Sean Dempsey's previous posts about Mac Pro developments, the thread was made in jest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.