Already bought a Mac Pro - why didn't somone here warn me there would be new ones!?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

Title says it all, I can't believe no one warned me there might be updated Mac Pros.

2. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

you are joking, right?

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You're joking right?

We've been talking about new Mac Pros since April at least.

4. KevinPlusPlus macrumors member

Believe it or not, the great folks on these forums have not mastered clairvoyance to read your mind and know you were going to buy and then contact you. This may be the information age, but you still have to seek out the information, it doesn't come to you when you automatically [yet!]. :)

5. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

Relax and enjoy it. I got mine a few months ago while there was talk that an update was due. I didn't care and just bought it, I couldn't be happier.

As far as not being warned, well, you just gotta comb through the forums. There has been lots of talk about the pending update but nobody knows when it will happen anyway. Apple will not announce it because people will stop buying the current model and wait for the new one.

6. bld44 macrumors 6502

I'm honestly amazed you missed it considering its almost everywhere in these forums. That being said, don't worry about it. The machine is fantastic and you'll enjoy it.

7. product26 macrumors 6502a

product26

yes, blame others when there is a BUYERS GUIDE AT THE TOP OF EVERY FREAKING PAGE ON THIS WEB SITE THAT TELLS YOU EXACTLY HOW MANY DAYS SINCE AN UPDATE AND IF IT IS SAFE TO BUY OR NOT

8. Lord Nerdos macrumors member

I bought mine 6 months ago and then they go and spread rumors that there might be one possibly coming out in the near future. And with improved technology!!!:mad:

I'm NEVER buying apple stuff again!!!

Why can't they just stick to the present model forever and then mine will never be out of date...

They are SO inconsiderate and they have the audacity to announce a new OS!!!

:rolleyes:

PS And another thing that gets me mad - people posting ironic comments! Don't they realise that sarcasm CANNOT be communicated on forum posts??!!?

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Warning ....

New iMacs, MacBooks, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, iPods, iPhones, other hardware, computer and software product by Apple is scheduled for update.

And eating too much food will make you fat. but I make already be too late with my warning.

10. psingh01 macrumors 65816

I warned you but you weren't paying attention. :cool:

11. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

12. Wild-Bill macrumors 68030

Wild-Bill

13. giantrobot macrumors member

Me too

I just bought one yesterday and ran into this rumor on Digg when I got home. Does anyone know whether I can just return the thing? It sounds like the new ones will be coming out in about a month and I would rather wait. Should I just hold on to the one I have -2.66 dualcore?

Any advise would be most welcome.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

It depends on where you bought it from. If it's a stock model purchased from the Apple Store and you haven't opened it, you can return it for a full refund. Otherwise it's a 10% restocking fee.

As for whether it's worth it to wait for a new model, only you can really answer that question. Yes, they could be releasing new Mac Pros soon. Or it could be like last time and they could wait from five months from this point...nobody here really knows. You have to weigh the expected benefits against the time you'll be without a brand-spanking-new machine until the new ones come out.

There's always something better around the corner...

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I saw the thread and realized he needs a slap upside the head ... I was waiting for somebody to do it.

Then finally realized I can do it. :p

[​IMG]

16. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

We Had The Most Popular Thread In All The Mac Pro & Power Mac Section All Year Long

I started the
    2007 Harpertown Stoakley-Seaburg Motherboard With New Graphics Cards 8-Core Mac Pro
    thread the day Apple shipped the Dual Clovertown 8 core Mac Pro - April 4. Where were you all? Living a life? Some of us don't have lives so we do this instead. ;) This thread has consistently been the most popular in all of the Mac Pro PowerMac section near the top of the list on page one all year long.

1462 Posts with 79,509 views to date second only to the Photoshop benchmark thread in views with almost three times as many posts.

So it would be hard for you to say you couldn't find it. :rolleyes:

You can take it back for a full refund if you didn't open it. If you opened it you have to pay a 10% restocking fee. But it'll be worth it or you might be able to talk a manager into giving you a full refund with no restocking fee.

17. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

I see the post I made that was just "troll, troll, troll" was deleted, perhaps I should have elaborated that this thread is the troll as the threadstarter is well aware of the rumours surrounding mac pros as can be seen from his post history.

18. giantrobot macrumors member

Its a tough call for me. The primary use will be running Logic 8 in a DAW and the 266 Woodcrest should be able to handle it. Is the main advantage of the new HSS the 8 core performance? Its unlikely that I would need 8 cores in the future so perhaps there is no point in my returning my pro and waiting for a couple of months. A significant factor is whether the new models will have a similar entry level model at a lower price as is rumored. This happened to me on the mini. About two weeks after picking up the single core pentium, Apple dropped the model and started selling dual cores for the same price as the single core. If the new MPs end up being the same or cheaper than the woodcrests, then might as well wait for that and get more for my dollar.

19. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

A rumor is a rumor, it's NOT fact. A new Mac Pro may be coming out next month, OR NOT. It might not be coming out until mid-to-late January. It might be coming out later. Are you prepared to wait till mid-January or February?

It's like last April, when I bought my Dual 3.0. There were rumors that something was coming in June, I still bought in April, and I'm happy I did.

20. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

I'd rather have one at the end of the run anyway. Let some other shlub work them through the bug fixes.

21. darthraige macrumors 68000

darthraige

Technology Changes.

Let's see... MacPro debuts August 2006. It's October 2007... Hmmmmm, care to do the math?

22. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

Umm, didn't you see the buying guide at this website??

it pretty much tells you the odds new models are coming and the historic timelines for new models.

23. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

*slaps forehead and shakes head sadly*

And to think, people that can ask questions like this breed....

~Crawn

24. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

And...we're done here.

Thanks, all, for participating. For those who didn't notice from Sean Dempsey's previous posts about Mac Pro developments, the thread was made in jest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.