already have a macbook, whats the best pc laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krogers34, Apr 22, 2009.

1. krogers34 macrumors member

im going to college in the fall and my dad wants to get me a new computer. i got a macbook last spring and he wants to get me a pc so since its free to me and i just got a macbook i decided why not. so with that in mind what is the best pc laptop to get? thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Tell him to save the money ... since your MacBook is still good right, and there isn't any real reason to need a PC ...

3. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Likely your not going to get an answer here, but I like Dells. Check out their XPS laptops only.

4. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Yes, as the Macook can run windows too.

5. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

6. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

If he really wants to spend the money, buy the 24" apple display. You will appreciate the bigger screen.

7. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Yeah. It'll make a great mirror, since his MacBook doesn't support it and the OP won't be able to use it. ;)

Tell your dad not to waste his money. You have a computer that's better than most PC laptops out there, and you can only use one computer at a time. If he insists on spending money on you, ask for something useful: like an Apple Store gift card! :D

8. loudmouth2332 macrumors newbie

you could dual boot.

But what I did is I got my macbook when i entered college. I still have it and did some upgrades on it so 3 years later it's still running great. So what I recently did was got an Asus 1000he netbook, which runs windows, to compliment my macbook. Now the netbook comes everywhere with me and the mac is my main computer for home.

Netbooks are awesome for college, for the price, for the portability and especially as a compliment to a Mac...which are better than PCs :)

9. acurafan macrumors 6502a

why bring two laptops to school? either keep the macbook, or dump it and get a newer pc.

otherwise save your $$ for other things in life, enjoy school once you come out to work, life sucks!! :D

10. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Just take the money and stash it away for important college expenses, like women and alcohol.

11. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

ThinkPads are probably the best laptops (including Apple laptops) out there. They've got an excellent track record when it comes to durability and reliability and they tend to be very well engineered, efficient machines.

I bought a ThinkPad X61s recently. It was either that or a MacBook Air, and to me the choice was simple:

I could have gotten a MacBook Air. For $1799 I would have gotten a 1.6Ghz CPU, 2GB of RAM that I can't upgrade, a 120GB drive, and a total weight of 3lbs. I also would have gotten a 1 year depot warranty.

With the ThinkPad I could get a 1.6Ghz CPU, 4GB of RAM (user-upgradeable), a 500GB disk (again: user-serviceable), and a total weight of < 3 lbs. I could also tack on a four year warranty, add accidental damage protection *and* upgrade to next-day on-site service. Add in the cost of a used dock via eBay and my total bill came to.... *drumroll* $1600.

Yup. I paid almost $200 less than the MBA, got a machine with better internals, a lighter weight, a 6 hour battery life and four years of unconditional on-site coverage.

To add insult to injury, the X61s idles at about 42C. With both cores fully-loaded I can just barely hit 55C. I don't have an MBA, but I'd be willing to bet that they run a wee bit hotter than that...

Apple makes some nice machines, but when it comes to a subnotebook price/feature comparison they don't really have a prayer against the ThinkPad X series.

12. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Buy a netbook for portability. Most of school work requires only web browsing and word processing. You don't really need a full size laptop for it. Your back would appreciate something small and light.

It's also good to have something rugged (or cheap enough that you don't care about scratching or denting) so you can throw in your backpack with whatever you have in there.

PS- pick a model that you can perform hackintosh if you really don't want to deal with Windows.

13. smooth macrumors 6502

smooth

While it's definitely a generous gesture from your dad, I have to agree with those who have stated that he should save the money. Unless you've already done it, he could help you max out the ram and hard drive. Or maybe update to the latest office suite you use. But a 2nd laptop would be redundant.

14. kolax macrumors G3

Get the base MacBook Pro with Higher Education discount (roughly a saving of 15% plus 3 year AppleCare for around $60). Then dual boot and have Windows on it.

It'll meet all your needs, and you don't want to end up with "once you go Mac there's no going back" syndrome if you get a PC instead.. ;)

15. bchreng macrumors 6502a

bchreng

I think any brand will work just fine. I've used Gateway, Dell, Acer and Toshiba and haven't had an issue with any. Just find one that looks the best to you and go with that one. I wouldn't worry too much about specs because for around $600-$700, you'll get something on par, if not better than what a standard Macbook offers.

16. macjay macrumors 6502

IMO, getting a PC laptop would be completely superfluous.

Your MB is already a PC laptop if you want it to be, since it can run Windows.

17. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

Best PC laptop would be a Mac IMO. Tell him to just give you the money. Your going to need it for all the beer pong your gonna be playing :)

18. foothead macrumors regular

I agree that a mac is the best PC laptop too, but if it is free, get a nice Asus notebook. Just don't get gateway, and especially, Dell, as they are horrible because they use old, cheap parts, and often have RAM maxxed out, and at very low speeds. There are also a few HP quad core laptops that are good, even though I don't usually agree with HP. Also, I recommend AMD, as you will get way more bang for your buck, and they will last longer. :D

19. relativist macrumors regular

I agree with what others have said. Ask for the equivalent, which is a memory upgrade for your macbook if needed, and parallels or the other one, to run windows. Also ask for a legit copy of windows and office apps for both windows and mac. A nice big dual use monitor/TV, like a 32" or 37" HDTV would be good for you too.

20. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

x2 for that. I love my 32"!

21. tayloralmond macrumors 6502

I completely agree. I'm in the US Army and I took my Dell XPS M1210 to Iraq and it came through with flying colors. A+ build quality in the XPS line from my experience.

22. funkysamoan macrumors newbie

+1 for the dual boot option. You got the best of both worlds.

If you want a new laptop per se, get a Sony Vaio. They're quite expensive but qualitywise pretty good. And since your dad is paying..:)
    As a system admin on a school I see a lot of dell, asus and acer laptops passing by and really, they're not great. Both the quality of materials and design are poor. Most of em look like they were assembled with spare parts coming from all over.
    I got a friend who works at Acer and he always tells me he would never buy one..says enough to me.

23. illidian macrumors 6502

Get a netbook. There are several good options out there - browse around and see which one best suits your needs as a student.

A second laptop is silly, but a netbook gives you a smaller alternative (though still very much a novelty).

24. Beanlok macrumors regular

Beanlok

I didn't read through to see if anyone's said this but... DELL ADAMOS are sexy.
    But I'd just keep your macbook.
    OOOH Idea: get a macbook pro then sell your macbook and buy a bunch of accessories for the pro + beer for college oc.

25. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I agree with some of the others. Why spend the money on another laptop? Keep the MB, and tell your dad to give you the money for things you'll want/need at school