Already have a Time Machine backup - How to make a 2nd backup to 2nd external HD?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by orangebanjo, Sep 22, 2014.

1. orangebanjo macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

I have a 100GB primary backed up via TM to a 150GB partition on an external hard drive, 30GB remains in the partition.

To make a 2nd TM backup to another external hard drive, can I just do a straight copy from the existing TM partition to the new drive? Repeating the standard TM steps, the backup is so slow.

Also, what is involved if I want to make the new TM partition 200GB? Shouldn't make a difference if the partition size is bigger?

Thanks in advance.

2. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I'll second the post directly above.

If you already have a TM backup, consider using CCC to create a second, BOOTABLE backup as well.

4. mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

I use 3 TM backups. I don't know if copying the existing backup files to another drive will work because TM may get confused about which backup is on which drive.

In any case I consider it is worth creating a fresh TM backup:
    Connect your new drive and make sure it is formatted for Mac OS extended
    Open TM preferences and select "Add or remove drive" from the list.
    Select your new drive and start a backup

Creating a new TM backup will probably take hours - but so will copying 100s of Gb from your existing TM drive.

TM automatically rotates the backup drives, if it finds them connected. This is a good strategy.

CCC and the like are fine for occasional full system backups but TM is good for automatic regular backups.

5. Pdmes macrumors newbie

Since Mountain Lion you are allowed to use more than one hard drive to back up your data in Time Machine. Only remember when browsing older or others Hard Drives, use the option Key on Time Machine drop-down menu to get "explore other drive" or similar