Already have an iPad 1... got an iPad 2 as a gift...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mdwsta4, Jan 3, 2012.

  1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

    Jul 23, 2007
    debating about seeing if I can return the iPad 2 to the Apple store for a credit and wait for the iPad 3 or sell my 1st gen and use the 2nd gen for a few months then sell it when the iPad 3 is released.


    I'll apologize upfront as it seem like there are a lot of similar threads although it appears as if they're mostly asking if they should buy now or not.
  2. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

    Apr 23, 2008
    Return it for credit, then get the new iPad 3 when it is released.
  3. LeeM macrumors 6502a

    Jan 1, 2012
    Sell the 1, use the 2 and then sell that. You'll definitely have enough out of the 2 to buy the 3 if it does come out. Remember there might not even be a 3 or you might not like it as much as the 2 and then you've deprived yourself of a couple of months (minimum) of use of what really is a great machine compared to your iPad 1.
    Added bonus of not returning a gift and looking ungrateful and spoilt
  4. poloponies Suspended

    May 3, 2010

    Return it for credit.
  5. rebby macrumors 6502

    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd agree with this one. Seems that the 3 will be here shortly anyway.
  6. donnaw macrumors 65816

    Apr 19, 2011
    Austin TX
    Just remember, the ipad1 most likely won't be worth much when the 3 comes out. Personally I would either sell or donate the ipad1 now. Use the ipad2 and see if the 3 has enough to offer to upgrade. Then you could sell the 2 and possibly still make enough on both sales to cover the 3.

    Also depends on who gave you the new one an whether they might be hurt if you returned it. Unlikely, but something to consider.
  7. marktuk macrumors member

    Dec 27, 2011
    If you return the iPad 2 for credit you'll get it's full value, right? Surely that's a no brainer as you will probably struggle to get full value trying to sell it as used, the absolute most you can expect to get is just under the price of an Apple refurb unit (which are as good as new imo), which will probably go down if/when the iPad 3 comes out.

    The only reason to keep the iPad 2 is if you find the iPad 1 inadequate, it does show it's age when it comes to some high end games.

    When the next iPad comes out, regardless of what it is, you should have enough store credit to just get it, I can't imagine the price would change. Then you still have your iPad 1 which you can sell, and you'll make a bit of money out of the whole thing.

    It looks like a new iPad is going to be released pretty soon, so I personally don't see the point it holding on to the iPad 2 if you can get store credit.
  8. Liquinn Suspended

    Apr 10, 2011
    I cannot let my iPad 1 and 3GS go.

    I still see people use PPC Macs on here, so it tells me it's fine to use 'old' Apple products; heck, I still use a three year old Windoze laptop, which I'm upgrading to a MBP in a few months.

    The iPad 1 still works, I'm going to buy the 3 when it comes out anyway.
  9. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jul 23, 2007
    Pretty much the route I originally planned on taking. For whatever reason I just want to use the iPad 2 because I like the taper so much more. But is that really worth only a few months use? Not really. Will be going to the Apple store tomorrow to ensure I can get store credit. If I can't, I may keep it.

  10. Pigumon macrumors 6502


    Aug 4, 2004
    An even swap from iPad 2 to iPad 3???? Seriously, no-brainer.

    As awesome as iPad 2 is, it's just too close to the release of iPad 3 for the $200 minimum you'll be losing by using the iPad 2 now.
  11. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

    Jul 23, 2007
    Went to the Apple store and apparently it was purchased from a third party company and therefore cannot be returned for a store credit. Bummer.
  12. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

    May 17, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Ah, sorry about that. Looks like a private sale for one of your devices it is. It really is a good problem to have. You would pretty much unload both of your iPads for the iPad 3, it looks like. I'd go ahead and sell the iPad 1 now before any more resale value is lost with an iPad 3 introduction. The iPad 2 will not see too drastic of resale value drop, especially brand-new in the box, seeing the going values for iPad 2's still and with the iPad 3 still going to be at the current price point for the iPad 2. IMHO, the biggest issue is the value of the iPad 1. I'd unload it now to maximize its potential earnings.

Share This Page