Already installed Lion but now want a physical copy?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Imola Ghost, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

I've already installed Lion on my MBP. I just did the upgrade instead of the clean install. I'd like to burn a copy to a DVD but can't find it in my downloads.

Ideas?

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

The download of Lion goes in to your Applications folder (not Downloads) but deletes itself after the install is completed. There is one possible chance of still retrieving it though, see this:

Burning A Lion Boot Disc

3. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

If you want to burn DVD you need to find an image called "installESD.dmg" in the content of the OS X lion, you had downloaded. For step by step guide I found one post saying "Creating Bootable Disk For your Mac OS X Lion" on the web, hope that can help you. ;)

4. DewGuy1999, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That won't work for the OP or anyone else that has already installed Lion as the Lion installer automatically deletes itself at the completion of installation. There is a possible chance of still retrieving it after the install is complete and that info is in the external link in my reply above.

5. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I went to the App Store, clicked on Lion and it said I already had downloaded it but asked if I wanted to download it again for free so I did.

I'm now burning it to a DVD.

BTW, I assume it's OK to use Dual Layer DVD correct? I don't a single layer DVD lying around.

6. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Didn't think to mention that you can download again from the Mac App Store. I don't know if single layer or dual layer would make a difference or not. Seeing as the download is less than a single layer DVD's capacity, I wouldn't think that the dual layer would matter. If you're making a bootable copy (like in that link I posted) then be warned that it takes a LONG time to boot from the DVD. If you have a spare 8GB flash drive those will also work and boot much faster.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

single layer (regular size DVD-R) worked for me no prob. :cool:

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yep, just download it from the app store, find the dmg file, and burn it to a single layer DVD.. Worked perfectly for me.

The good thing about lion though is that it creates a restore partition, so even if you don't have a disk you can still get into disk utility and reinstall the OS using that partition.

9. MJL macrumors 6502a

Please tell a newby to Mac on how to make this bootable USB stick. Can you also tell me how to make one for the Windows 7 DVD?

I have the Mac Mini mid 2010 I bought a few weeks ago and am still waiting :mad: for the free upgrade but want to prepare for a later upgrade to the newer Mac Mini ( the mid line ) that doesn't have a DVD. Many thanks in advance.

(Also have a Windows machine available).

10. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

You have to go into disk utility, select the USB stick and go to the "restore" tab, select the .dmg file you want to put on the stick, then drag the volume (the one on the USB) over from the list into the box that says "target" or "destination" (can't exactly remember what it is labeled, on my iPad right now) and then click restore. Afterwards you will have a bootable USB stick.

If you have a .iso file for a windows install disk you follow the same process

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Macworld.com: How to make a bootable Lion install disc or drive. I don't do Windows so I don't have a clue how you would do the same for Windows 7. Why are you still waiting for the the upgrade code after a few weeks?

12. MJL macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link, much appreciated.

I filled out the up-to-date form on the day it was released since my machine number was not being recognised in the update program (it is visible in the warranty) but did not hear for a few days. Then got onto support and they have now resubmitted the application again (I had to send up a photo of the purchase invoice). Still waiting......waiting...... :rolleyes: :eek:

13. MJL macrumors 6502a

OK I am clear on the Lion / Mac piece but not yet on the windows side. I have a DVD and I suppose I have to safe that then as an image and then drop that into the restore? I'll give it a try later and if I have got more questions / problems then I hope that I might come back and ask for more enlightment. (pretty stale on UNIX after more than 20 years absence)

14. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

I do not think single or dual layer would play any significant role in this case. You can use either.

15. wlasikiewicz macrumors newbie

I think you can burn it to a dick using disk utility, once you have downloaded it I think you can burn the image to a disk.

Just google it mate if you get stuck.

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I got a free upgrade back when Panther (10.3) was released for my refurb iMac that came with Jaguar (10.2). The serial number wasn't recognized either, back then in addition to filling out the online form and calling AppleCare, I had to fax a copy of my receipt, but as the iMac fell within the criteria I did get the upgrade discs. I'm sure you'll get your download code, just don't forget about it and keep after them if necessary.

17. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, if you want to create a USB bootable version you will have to create an image of the disk and then restore it to the USB drive