Already jailbroken, why "upgrade" again?

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TheDPR, Jan 27, 2008.

1. TheDPR macrumors member

What does the new upgrade give that jailbreak didn't already do? Is there any practical reason to upgrade at this point? I've got a 1.1.2 iPT that's jailbroken, btw.

2. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

theres no obligation to upgrade to the new jailbroken 1.1.3 its optional, but with the new upgrade you can get the fully working mail app and new features in maps, webclips etc

3. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Plus, access to the new software which will be coming out soon.

4. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

If you want to pay $20 for 5 icons go ahead...
    But if you jailbreak... :D

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know about your "icons" but my "icons" actually do useful things.

As I think time will tell, hacking the touch is for people who like to show themselves off as the bigger geek.

6. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Any moron can jailbreak an ipod touch, you dont need to be a geek.

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I realize you don't have to be a geek, you just have to want geek bragging rights.

8. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

I just jailbreak mines and live my life. What everyone else does is their opinions. Some my buy and thats fine, others hack, and others hack and brag and thats fine too. All it is is that we're satisfied in the end with what we do.

9. Four20 macrumors 6502a

Four20

wobbly icons. . .now i can organize my apps into pages. page 1 for apps i use a lot, page 2 for system/config apps, page 3 for webclips. . .and so on

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's not a value judgement. The point is hacking the touch is clearly a dead end.

11. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

We're starting this again, are we? :D

Although, I must agree. Personally, I see no value in hacking the touch/iPhone, but I do realize that it brings joy to some, and it should be their choice. ...Just don't come crying to us when you break it. :p

12. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I really see it as at least a $20 value. You can't argue with that.

13. Fofer macrumors 6502a

LOL

You and that word, "clearly."

Until the official SDK and distribution mechanism allows for ANY and ALL apps to be installed, included X-rated ones like iSteamy, as well as telephony apps like VOIP-SIP, and free apps of all stripes and colors... hacking will be alive and well. I sincerely don't think Apple's going to serve that stuff up on the iTunes Store.

In all likelihood, those interested will hack their devices as well as install "official" apps, for the best of both worlds.

Most importantly, nothing is "clear" at this point, and you don't know any more than the rest of us.

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't use it often, but reserve it for when things are clear. I don't doubt that some will continue to hack the touch, if only to be able to say they've done it. Hackers figured out how to install Linux on earlier generations of iPods. That really caught on, didn't it? Very mainstream. The difference is between going down the road which has Apple has clearly (that word again) established for the device, which will come with vastly increased functionality and other improvements, and a blind alley. I know some people enjoy navigating blind alleys, but that doesn't mean they really go anywhere.

15. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Hacking's never been mainstream, in any application.

And some do it for real utility, not just ego or "outgeeking" a friend. Some just enjoy the puzzle. Hell, I've gotten more enjoyment out of the iPhysics game on my iPod touch than any other at this point. Obviously, I am happy for the jailbreak.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks... it's up to each and every person to decide if it's something that's interesting for them. It's "clearly" not for you.

So what exactly does "dead end" mean? The hacking of these devices won't go away once the SDK comes out, as you've conceded. And so what if only .001 percent of users are actually interested? They'll keep the scene alive, for themselves.

I'll weigh the options as time goes on, and choose whatever firmware I want. As a consumer, I'm happy to have that CHOICE.

It also doesn't mean they're stuck. Sometimes blind, dogged navigators are the ones who discover greatness.

16. dagored macrumors 65816

With that, I have to get in this now. Those that want to hack their touch, do not come here and shout and scream, gee, it is great. They come to gain some knowledge on how to improve, their device. Correct me if I am mistaken, but this is the iPod touch Hacks forum ? You don't see the hackers going to the other Touch forum and praising, gloating, and trying to get you to JB your Touch.

I for one jailbroke my Touch in 1.1.2 and used the mail, weather, map, and notes quite a bit. I jailbroke 1.1.3 and then BOUGHT the 5 apps. I could not buy them before, wonder why? Just in case, something went wrong. I am a happy camper. I have my apps, iTunes works great, and I can also play Solitare, blackjack and other time wasting diversions as I see fit.

If Apple decides to permit 3rd party apps that I find useful in a future upgrade, I can go back to my unbroken Touch and do my thing. They are going to have to rewrite the code, because they only have about 9 megs of room left in the Apps and program partition. Now if third party apps are sent to the Media partition, everything will be fine.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A dead end means that you are off the Apple roadmap for the device, which is obviously destined for greater functionality. Apple has strongly suggested where they see the iPhone/touch platform going. It means hackers will have to constantly struggle with every update Apple offers, and people like the OP will be faced with a dilemma each time. I realize some people find this kind of expedition to be "fun" but increasingly hackers will be having to make a choice between accepting official updates and sticking with their hacks. I can easily see where Apple is headed but I can't see where hacking is going anywhere.

18. Bitter macrumors member

It isn't worth it to upgrade yet. There are more things compatable with firmware 1.1.2 anyways, and there aren't any problems with 1.1.2 while jailbreaking. Doing one of the many soft upgrades available for 1.1.3 have a high risk of error, as well as many known and unknown bugs. Stay jailbroken on 1.1.2 in my opinion.

Bitter.

19. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I am a very happy upgrader. My touch is like a entirely new device. Several bugs have been fixed, and no new ones introduced that I can find.

20. dagored macrumors 65816

Not as of 8 last night. The Developers hack is great. Everything works after the download. Nothing else is needed. You can buy the 5 apps. sync. etc. Now 2 day ago, yeah it was crazy. In fact many of the older hacks are gone from Installer and only the Developers install is being used.

Again, and I stress this, it is an individuals choice. I like having choices. Like different cases and covers for the Touch. I would really not like thaving just one.

21. Fofer macrumors 6502a

You say "dilemma" and I say "choice." Choice is good. And it's clear that right now, the hackers have the best of both worlds. There's very little reason NOT to jailbreak... and you can always revert if "need" be.

And how are you enjoying all of the native games, like iPhysics? Oh, that's right, they're not available to you.

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it was not a dilemma, threads like this would never be started.

23. Fofer macrumors 6502a

Huh?

This is a discussion board. Just because someone starts a thread, doesn't mean they are pontificating a stressful dilemma. Maybe they just want to be aware of what they are in for? Is it worth the time for them? Are there third party apps they'd be interested in?

Jailbreaking is completely reversible, so I'm not sure how it's any sort of "dilemma" to debate.

But that's exactly what we're discussing here. We're not talking someone down from a ledge. We're just informing them of all the options available to them... so they can CHOOSE for themselves. Obviously, if this sort of discussion stresses them out, then jailbreaking's probably not for them. But those that have done it (and it's so very easy at this point) are here to educate them, if they like.

It must be a dilemma, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist? Do you honestly believe that? :confused:

Seriously, man... this conversation is getting weird.

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I realize it's "completely reversible." For some people, starting over is not exactly an appealing option. If you become dependent on applications which are not supported by Apple's updates then you may well be forced to either (1) not update or (2) abandon the applications. The fact that this is a "discussion board" doesn't change issues which people are already facing and they will undoubtedly face again and again in the future. Hacking is a separate road from the one established by Apple.

This, and the fact that supported software will be arriving very soon, should figure into individual decisions about whether or not to hack. These are facts to consider. Not weird facts, just facts.

25. Fofer macrumors 6502a

And if you don't jailbreak, then you're never exposed to the goodness of those applications in the first place? Ah, now I see that "logic." LOL! Whatever works for you, dude. :p

If I choose to abandon iPhysics (and the other great apps) at some point, then I will. "'Tis better to have loved and lost then never to have loved at all."

If I choose to not update, it's because -- for me -- the pros of the existing firmware outweigh the cons.

(Fortunately I don't have to choose at this point, as iPhysics works fine with jailbroken 1.1.3. :D )

Listen, I'm as much as an Apple fan as the next guy, and I trust the mothership. I bow at the brilliance that is Mr. Jobs. But I'm not going to follow blindly and limit my options just because their "roadmap" for the SDK is promising to flow milk and honey. I'll enjoy all that's available to me RIGHT NOW... and roll with the punches. Life's too short to wait around and hope like a good little boy. When Apple's roadmap results in more functionality to me, then (and only then,) if I am forced to choose, will I shift gears.

Clearly.