Already jailbroken with earlier PwnageTool ... should I re-jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bubbles3674, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Bubbles3674 macrumors newbie

Here's something I've never quite understood. :confused:

Once I've successfully jailbroken an iPhone with PwnageTool, if a newer version of PwnageTool appears (but no newer iOS yet appeared) should I re-jalbreak or is this not necessary?

...or is the rule just to always update/jailbreak iOS 5.x.y with the equivalent PwnageTool version (5.x.y)?

Thanks! :eek:

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

With pwnagetool it isn't as simple as just rejailbreaking. You have to make the custom firmware first then restore with it to be jailbroken. If you think a newer version has important benefits to you then certainly do it all over again.

The way pwnagetool is being treated by the team it's not much of a priority of theirs anymore so I don't think there's anything to worry about here. Stick with redsn0w. Pnwagetool has still not been patched to yield a solid jailbreak like redsn0w has been.

3. Bubbles3674 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tend to stick with Pwnagetool simply because it's the only one that ever works for me! redsn0w (at least I think it was redsn0w...) tended to get stuck on waiting for a reboot (different iPhones, Macs & USB ports) and Pwnagetool never failed me as it creates the jailbroken code on the Mac and then I use iTunes to restore.

Thanks forthe advice, though. Much appreciated.

4. psywzrd macrumors 68030

I went through the same thing. What you should do now is download and run the newest version of redsn0w and run the jb option (make sure you uncheck install Cydia though since you already have Cydia). That will apply the extra patches that redsn0w has and pwnage lacks but it will not touch your bb (I used pwnage to preserve my bb). It's actually very easy.