Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2011
OK Apple, my wife's iPad Min 4 is having some battery issues, so I'm looking to upgrade to the iPad Min 5, but rumors are floating all over the place to include it might be discontinued?

I can to an extent understand Apple's silence when it comes to new and updates to their product line; but what I can't understand is why "IF" the rumor mill is true, and they do in fact plan on discontinuing a product, why not just let us know?

It's the perfect size for her to use as a reader, and surf, email, etc. the larger iPads are just too uncomfortable as a reader.

I'm going to wait until the next iPad release, and if there's no update to the mini, I'll have to shop around for another hand held size device.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Apple can still milk the product for revenues. There are plenty of existing users stuck or invested in the mini form factor.

But the pricing and the fact it doesn’t support AR is already Apple’s way of telling consumers not to buy it.

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I don’t care about Pencil support and most of the other “pro” features, but my dream iPad right now would be a Mini with shrunken bezels so that they could squeeze in a larger display in the same form factor. I don’t really want to lose the home button though, so they don’t need to go full iPhone X.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I've been itching to upgrade my Mini 2 for a few months now. I don't see a point in getting the Mini 4 at this point in time. I've been considering the 10.5 Pro, but it feels a bit too big for me. I would jump on a Mini sized Pro in a heartbeat.

If some of the rumours concerning this years iPhones are halfway true, the increased size of the screens would make the 7' iPad pretty much moot. RIP baby iPad.

Reactions: redcargirl

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
Not a lot of rumors about a new mini. If one were coming, I think we would have heard something, but you never know when we can be surprised.
I would exercise caution whenever Apple uses the moniker 'Mini' with any of its products: iPod Mini, Mac Mini, iPad Mini etc. You tend to find yourself waiting, then hoping for updates.

Atomic1977

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2017
West Bend Wisconsin
The mini 2 is still getting updates mine is on the latest 11.2.2. But as to something after the mini 4 I think Apple knows something but does not wanna say or do anything yet.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I'd imagine they may give it a processor update, but nothing major. Kind of silly for them to expect people who like the mini to either buy an iPhone Plus or an iPad (9.7 or larger).

Reactions: Ravi_MR

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I still believe that there is a possibility of an updated Mini. I've been referring to it as the "Mini Plus"... an iPad Mini with an updated processor and added support for the Apple Pencil. I'd buy that in a heartbeat. Given Apple's track record for NOT producing the products that would suit my wants, that pretty much guarantees that the Mini will suffer the same fate as the iPod Touch... sold but not promoted. Stable but not discontinued.

Reactions: 7Fingers and kazmac

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I currently own an ipad mini 2. It has a cracked screen & the home button is broken, but i still use my ipad mini 2 everyday. I love the form factor. Bigger and more usable than the largest iphone but so much more portable than the larger ipads. It really is the perfect ipad size. I don't just surf the web on it. I use it for content creation too. I'm an artist and I edit photos & videos on it. I write my travel blog on it. I sketch on it using a 3rd party stylus. I really want to upgrade to a new mini. But the 4 is already 2 1/2 yrs old, so i am waiting on word from Apple. If they don't update the mini this year, i think the rumors about them discontinuing it, sadly may be true.

I will wait until WWDC, but if no new mini is announced, i will nab one of the new 10.5" iPad pros. Rumor has it the next ipad pros will get a radical redesign. I would love an ipad mini pro. Then i could chuck my 3rd party stylus and get the Apple pencil. But maybe thats wishful thinking. Either way, i will be upgrading after the next ipads are released. I only hope my ipad mini 2 survives that long!

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I'd imagine they may give it a processor update, but nothing major. Kind of silly for them to expect people who like the mini to either buy an iPhone Plus or an iPad (9.7 or larger).

I have an iPhone 8 Plus and I would still like a new Mini. I don't understand how people say that a 5.5" 16:9 phone allows for the same experience and functionality as a 7.9" 4:3 tablet. As someone who uses both daily, I feel that there's a notable difference between a large phone and a small tablet.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I have an iPhone 8 Plus and I would still like a new Mini. I don't understand how people say that a 5.5" 16:9 phone allows for the same experience and functionality as a 7.9" 4:3 tablet. As someone who uses both daily, I feel that there's a notable difference between a large phone and a small tablet.

Yea I agree. I think it likely just comes down to revenue for them. I suppose the mini wasn't all that popular.

RecentlyConverted

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2015
Yea I agree. I think it likely just comes down to revenue for them. I suppose the mini wasn't all that popular.
Yes, but devices can be more than just a stand alone income stream. My first iOS product was the iPad mini. I really liked that, which led to iPhone 5, iPad 4th, iPhone 6 +, iPhone 6s +, 4 iPod touch 4th, 2 iPod touch 6th, various ATV3´s, ATV4, iMac 27" 2012, 2013,Apple Monitors, Watches, TimeCapsules, Extremes, Trackpads, PSUs, Cables, Dongles etc. Boy that iPad mini cost me some money!

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, but devices can be more than just a stand alone income stream. My first iOS product was the iPad mini. I really liked that, which led to iPhone 5, iPad 4th, iPhone 6 +, iPhone 6s +, 4 iPod touch 4th, 2 iPod touch 6th, various ATV3´s, ATV4, iMac 27" 2012, 2013,Apple Monitors, Watches, TimeCapsules, Extremes, Trackpads, PSUs, Cables, Dongles etc. Boy that iPad mini cost me some money!

Absolutely, I totally agree with you, just not up to me or you unfortunately. I never owned a mini myself, but I always enjoyed the size when I used one.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
While the Mini has its fans, I think Apple fears that somehow it will threaten its other cash cow iPads and will give it the step motherly treatment it has been dishing out to the other "mini" in its lineup. If the Mini 4 ever gets an update, expect it to be crippled with a year or two older processor out of the gate.

007p

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2012
While the Mini has its fans, I think Apple fears that somehow it will threaten its other cash cow iPads and will give it the step motherly treatment it has been dishing out to the other "mini" in its lineup. If the Mini 4 ever gets an update, expect it to be crippled with a year or two older processor out of the gate.

At least an A9 or A10 would be better than the current A8. A8 is very limited with the new features on iOS 11, no arkit/hevc hw decode etc

Reactions: profets and Ravi_MR

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
At least an A9 or A10 would be better than the current A8. A8 is very limited with the new features on iOS 11, no arkit/hevc hw decode etc

Wouldn't we be in the same situation in a year or two time with the A9/A10 as to where were are with the A8 today? After all, the A8 was the state of the art in its day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.