Alright boys... Here's my Verdict

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by TouchUser, Sep 16, 2007.

1. TouchUser macrumors newbie

Bought my 8gb touch today at noon.

Things you should keep in mind.

Go out and buy the 16 if you have a lot of movies and photos... because even though I have 4gb music... It takes up a considerable amount more due to album art...

Turn your brightness up before saying your screen is messed up. I was almost ****ting a brick when I thought my screen looked a little blotchy... the brightness helped a huge amount.

The sync time is SLOW. Even I noticed it... and I don't sync very often.

8gb model is = 7.27gb.

The on-screen keyboard is a little screwy.

Overall... A+. The device is simply fantastic. I love mine. Go and buy one. The cool factor and the usability makes it better than what this forum makes it out to be... It is quite possibly the best music player on the market today... the pro's outweigh the cons no doubt.

Any Q's? I got the A's

2. thebusdriver16 macrumors member

How is the keyboard screwy? Mine works flawlessly

3. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

LOL. "Slow synch speed, small storage and screwy keyboard" = A+.

The sign of a true Apple fanatic... ;)

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've just about duplicated my iPod Nano's library on my iPod touch and still had enough room to fit Bloody Sunday, Blade Runner and two seasons of Robot Chicken on it. So, I'm content for those long breaks between classes. :)

Sync time is very slow - I agree. I was uploading JFK to my iPod and it took quite a while - granted its a 3 hour movie.

My iPod's keyboard actually works better initially than my roommate's iPhone's did.

5. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Thanks for the info.
    here are my questions:
    1) Any problem listening to music while simultaneously surfing on safari? My test drive showed this to cause freezes on 3 different units.

2) How slow is slow with the syncing?

3) Out of curiosity, why did you choose not to get an iPhone and use the hack to activate it without the phone use? This is what I am thinking about... because it gets me a camera, bluetooth, email, notes, maps, and editable calendar. 8Gb is all i need, so I can get one for the same price.

4) How good is wifi for you? Have you found what some others have-- that the wifi is not as good as iPhone and there are places that should have strong signal where iPod is weak?

Thanks!

6. TouchUser thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. The keyboard doesn't respond to all of my touches. Like sometimes the backspace key just doesn't work.

And for the second guy... Its so wicked cool that these minor flaws don't really matter. I just pointed out what I didn't like... And how can I be an apple fanatic if I don't use a mac. =0

7. thebusdriver16 macrumors member

guess i lucked out big time. Perfect keyboard, no black negatives on screen problem, and no hissing. Gotta love this amazing thing

8. TouchUser thread starter macrumors newbie

No prob with multi tasking so far.

Syncing is decently slow... It took me an hour or two for about 4gb of music.

I am on a family plan on sprint... the iPhone was not an option.

Wifi is FANTASTIC for me. Works better than my built in card to my laptop.

One more thing... It didnt sync all my album art. Just like 95% of it.

Edit... No Hissing or pixel probs.
    ReEdit... Okay... no hissing problems but I can't really judge sound quality because none of my music is from itunes.

9. nowdsa macrumors newbie

I ordered an 8gig Touch and am curious to know how large the files of a 30 min tv episode or a 2 hour movie are? I am totally new to compressing movies want to know whats the best setting to retain a good quality picture while keeping the file size resonable.

10. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I've got HandBrake set-up to convert movies pretty much to the resolution of the iPod touch. Movies can range from 400 - 500MB. My Robot Chicken episodes are rather small, ranging from 20 - 30MB.

11. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

what are your settings for the touch on handbrake?

12. Fotograffiti macrumors member

I love Apple stuff but I had to laugh at the perfect rating the user posted despite the downfalls. *L*

13. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Codecs: H.264
    Format: MP4
    Encoder: (iPod one)
    Average Bitrate: 450

Change the picture settings to have a maximum width of 480 too (remember to preserve aspect ratio.) ;-)

14. TouchUser thread starter macrumors newbie

haha. Alright. A-

But okay... on the screen... only on a few movies am I getting this weird glare. I think thats the problem. I am going to look more into this

15. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

Thanks a lot!

16. Skull21 macrumors regular

The keyboard on my touch is also screwy and I plan to exchange it for a new one.

17. onionperson654 macrumors regular

onionperson654

Does that also apply if you want to zoom in to reduce letterboxing (or is zooming just a bad idea)?

I also plan to do a little testing with a DVD versus itunes download when I buy it. Too bad output cables for video costs so much.