Alright, I have no idea what I'm doing (iPhone apps on iPod touch)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by dscuber9000, Dec 16, 2007.

1. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

:p

I have no idea how to put iPhone apps on my iPod touch, but I would really like some. So where did everyone learn stuff like the terminology, how to do it, etc? Does my iPod touch have to be at version 1.1.1 to do it?

I just want to read up a whole bunch on how this stuff works before I risk my $300 in any way, but from what I've seen, this seems like a pretty safe procedure.

2. druranium macrumors member

3. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I read through that page, but when I tried out that JailBreaking Website, I clicked on "Install AppSnapp" but it did nothing. Do I need my iPod touch to be at version 1.1.1?

4. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Hiya,

I was in the same position as you last week, didn't know where to start - it seemed as complicated as nuclear physics :)

First thing to do is downgrade to 1.1.1 - you have to do this.

Go to this site
    and go to 'Step 1: Downgrade to 1.1.1' for the link for the 1.1.1 download.

When you have downloaded it go to iTunes, make sure your Touch is plugged in, click the symbol for your Touch in the menu on the left so that the information screen comes up (ie the main screen to the right). You'll see the screen with the picture of your Touch etc, hold down your 'alt' key and click restore. A window will pop up, in that window locate the 1.1.1 firmware you have downloaded and click open.

Your Touch will start downgrading to 1.1.1. Follow the usual instructions. NB: when it asks you make sure you set your Touch up as a NEW iPod.

Once you've done this your Touch should be downgraded - to double check go to Settings on your Touch, click General, then About - third from bottom you will see 'Version', make sure it says 1.1.1.

If that's okay then go to Safari on your Touch and type in jailbreakme.com.

When the site comes up scroll down to the bottom and click 'Install AppSnapp'.

This took a few tries for me before it finally starting downloading.

When it's done your Touch will lock - just unlock it and you should see 'Installer' on the screen.

From this point the best thing to do is have a look at this YouTube video, it worked blissfully well for me :)

Hope it works out. Honest, it's easy - and worth it. Don't worry about your Touch, it'll survive all of the above. ;)

5. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

"Install AppSnapp" didn't work for me at first either, in the end it seemed to be a problem with my wifi connection - when I switched to my neighbour's broadband :)o) it worked fine. Keep trying, though, it'll work in the end.

6. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow, thanks Hello.there for that awesome reply. I'll try all of that right now. :)

7. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

You're very welcome. It's almost 3 in the morning here :)o) so I'm going to get some sleep, but if you have any problems let me know in this thread and I'll try to help. Best of luck.

8. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'll probably be logging off for the night right now as well.

I downloaded version 1.1.1, but when I hold alt and click Restore, it isn't doing anything different than if I clicked restore without holding alt.

I'm using Windows XP, but I think you have been assuming I am.

9. dscuber9000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nevermind, I figured out I have to hold shift, not alt. I went through all the steps and now I have Mail, Weather, Installer, Notes, Stocks, and Maps on it! Woot!

Quick question, though. If I update to 1.1.2, what happens? Will it remove all of the hacked apps? If so, is there a way I can get the calendar updates back?

10. stupendusboi macrumors member

GAHA.. DONT LEAVE lol
    Press SHIFT and click restore.. do NOT press Alt and CLick

EDIT: oh.. u figured it out like.. 1 second before me :p

11. brandon.mat macrumors newbie

I'll be getting an Ipod Touch in week, been roaming around these forums for about a year now and never registered. This thread will definitely help me in a week times. Thanks :)

12. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

no I have posted this many times but here we go again lol

if your touch has 1.1.1 on then skip the first 2 paragraphs

download the 1.1.1 official firmware, save it to a place you will remember. (if you have safari please turn off the auto open when downloaded option)

if your touch isn't already in recovery mode as already instructed plug touch into pc/mac load itunes up and then hold down the lock/wake button and home key keep them held down eventually your touch will shut off, keep the buttons held down and when you see the apple logo let go of the lock/wake key ONLY leaving the home key pressed down and eventually you should get the itunes logo with pic of the usb wire.

iTunes should now say its detected an ipod in recovery mode click ok, now depending what system your using for windows hold the shift key down or for mac options key then press restore and point iTunes to the ipsw file and click open, iTunes should start restoring your touch to 1.1.1. When its done point the touch's safari to jailbreame.com, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on install AppSnapp and soon after safari will "crash" if you wait yout touch will start to auto jailbreak, if memory serves me once the install has complete reboot your touch and your jailbroken.

to upgrade to 1.1.2 first step, go to installer then scroll down to 1.1.1 tweaks and install oktoprep. Once installed plug ipod in to pc/mac and update to official 1.1.2. When updated grab the 1.1.2 jailbreak program and extract to a folder. If you are running windows then run windows.bat if mac then the osx file, tick install ssh and click the jailbreak button. When this has finised doing its thing power off your touch then turn it back on, your touch will reboot when loaded up (this is normal) when its rebooted you will then have a jailbroken 1.1.2

make sure you add http://repo.us.to to installer sources and you will have a nice and easy install of iphone apps

to add a source in installer

1. open installer
    2. click sources
    3. click edit
    4. click add
    5. enter url
    6. click ok
    7. wait for sources to refresh
    8. go back to install
    9. scroll down to iphone apps for 1.1.1/iphone apps for 1.1.2

for mail and maps make sure you install the prep items aswell

13. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Ooops, sorry, should have stressed I was talking about a Mac!

14. Mac-tastic macrumors newbie

Apps for iTouch 16GB

Please help....I would really like to have applications on my new iTouch that would allow me sync Contacts and iCal etc....(not to mention all the other great stuff that's on offer.)

I have v1.1.2 on my iTouch. I know I need to downgrade to 1.1.1. to jailbreak the apps.

I've followed all the instruction on this link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=401667

but unfortunatley, it doesn't work.

Then I notice, that it's not going to work if one has v7.5 iTunes, which I do.

So, I'm wondering, is there any way around this?

Someones help on this would be much appreciated.

MT

15. Slip macrumors 6502a

Slip

Can't you specify it to sync those in iTunes?
    And btw, its not an iTouch. Touch, iPod touch, iPT even but how many people do you hear calling the nano an iNano? ;)

16. dagored macrumors 65816

What does that have to do with it. I have iTunes 7.5 and jailbroke 2 Touches. Once downgraded to 1.1.1 it is a piece of cake. You need a good internet connection and it will take about 15 minutes. Do a search of my threads.

17. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

did you even read my step by step guide 2 posts above yours? that works perfect with no problems and it even works in the latest iTunes