alright, i'm getting some noises from the mac pro. maybe the fans? help.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BeyondMountains, Mar 16, 2008.

1. BeyondMountains macrumors 6502

i'v had it for about 3+ weeks and everything is fine except this noise that keeps appearing

i noticed it on the first day but it only lasted a very short time and once in a while it would come back but usually didnt last very long.

now the times are increasing and its making this noise for about 10+min

getting very irritating

I cant really explain the sound but it sounds like its comming from somewhere between the bottom two fans in the front. more towards the lower one, when i open it up i dont hear the noice from the top so its gotta be under it. its got a bit of a rattle sound ( like the sound of a very old cars exhaust but of course a lot lower)

any ideas? i dont even know how to get to the lowest fan

2. HostaDesigner macrumors newbie

I had a resonating vibration from inside the case about two days after I got it running. It was the metal from one of the hard drive trays. I simply opened the side panel up and pushed everything together tightly. The vibration has been gone ever since (a month or more).

3. beasleyiv macrumors newbie

I've got the same thing, I think. Only can hear it sometimes, a little annoying but it is one of those things you'll never reproduce at will. Almost like the old CPU or case cooling fans that rattled a little. You'd just touch them and kind of knock them back into shape. Reminds me of this noise.

2-week old MP.

4. lovemac125 macrumors newbie

run diagnostic

Have you checked the temp of the computer when the noise appears. You can use iStat pro will give you an idea about how cool your computer is running. You could also run AHT, ASD, or Tech Tool to verify that all the hardware is preforming as it should. Take it to an ASP or Apple store if you don't have these tool available to you.

5. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the replies.
    i checked the hdd bays but the sound is comming from lower then that. i think its around the front fan( the lowest one) whats down there?

the temps are the same when the sound is being made/when its not.

the sounds could happen just as the computer turns on so idk if thats the problem.

6. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

hellpppp my when this occurs its louder then my dell ahhh

7. jdee2wheels macrumors member

Mine makes the same noise. It sounds like it's somewhere below the front fans...

I've thought about taking it to the apple store several times, but then it goes away for a little while. It is annoying though. The Mac pro's at the apple store certainly aren't as loud as mine.

One of these days I'll get off my butt and take the thing in.

8. metakinetics macrumors newbie

Here Too

Same problem here. It gets really loud sometimes, and it sounds like the fans are revving up and down in RPM in about a 2 to 3 second cycle. This noise is so annoying! I have packed it up and plan to return it for a full refund.

If you are using a Mac for pro audio work and you cannot put the computer in a closet or different room altogether, a Mac Pro is not a very good choice for silence. Music production or mastering requires the utmost quiet. It is definitely quieter than your average tower, but it is also not nearly as quiet as an iMac. The iMacs are almost completely silent, at least 20 decibels quieter than the Mac Pros. You cannot hear an iMac on unless you get very close to the machine and put your ear near the housing. You can definitely hear a Mac Pro from 10 feet away in a quiet room, even if it is not a defective one. The MacBooks and MacBook Pros are both louder than the Mac Pro or iMac once they start heating up from processor load, which they will most certainly do if used for pro audio!

9. BeyondMountains thread starter macrumors 6502

havent head that sound in a really long time. only once in a while. and there is a new sound when its really hot outside .. thats when i turn it off lol

10. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

If you are in music production (I don't know if you are), perhaps
    you can make a recording of the sound for us to hear? I tend to
    think these discussions are a bit meaningless if you can't actually
    hear the sound. What you describe could sound like anything from
    a helicopter to a small bee :)