Alright you rMBP Guru's..Am I waiting for nothing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Heartex, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Heartex macrumors newbie

Help....
    I currently have a 2011 13in MBA ultimate with 4GB. I have bible software that will only run in windows, so I have parallel running. These programs have many tabs and windows in them so things get clogged down pretty easy. My page out is ridiculous. I also use chrome on the mountain lion with many windows in my search and study. It is so difficult to bookmark and close on the internet and cannot on the bible programs.And I have several word documents on the window side with different documents open also. I am looking to get rMBP 13 in. to replace my MBA. I want to know should I wait for the Haswell this summer or will the I5 2.5 or i7 2.9 with 256 be good enough. I do not do games and although longer battery life would be nice since parallel does eat up the life to 3 hours or so.
    I could easily wait til Haswell but does it do me any good? Would I see the improvement? Am I waiting for something I would never really see or need?
    I will probably keep computer for couple years and sell. Would getting the refresh bring more on resell or does it all get washed out on late 2012 and early 2013 when reselling?
    I have been on this site for about a month and you guys are smart. I do not know cpu or bottleneck stuff...just tell me should I buy 2.5 or 2.9 or the refresh???:confused:
    I do want the retina or I would just get the MBA with 8GB.

2. utekineir macrumors 6502

Looks like your enter key is broken,

perhaps its time for a replacement?

3. eljimberino macrumors member

Get a PC.

4. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Honestly it's not that big of a deal. I own both at this point and time and if I didn't have to change I wouldn't have bothered. Of course this is easier to gauge after buying it.

If money is of zero concern, however, then that's a direct story.

5. Mr MM macrumors 65816

Mr MM

I would actually wait for the refresh, apparently you have a ram problem (pretty obvious), since your machine is just functioning fine, just wait a bit, imagine if the rmbp 13 in the next version comes out with up to 16gb? you would have benefitted from it.

also go for the base cpu, nothing you do is that intensive on the cpu, the size of the SSD is really up to you. I have been living uncomfortably with 128gb for 3 years already, next time I will get a larger SSD for me

6. F1 Fan macrumors regular

F1 Fan

Why would you spend this kind of money before you need to? The sooner you buy it now, the sooner you'll have to replace it too... Why not hold out until you need to buy it and then do so without even thinking about waiting for whatever's coming next - it doesn't matter because you need it now :)

7. IllmasterMath macrumors regular

Have you prayed for better performance? Surely, if Jesus turned water into wine he could turn 4GB of RAM into 8.

8. Marquito macrumors newbie

Time to go to confession...

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Can't believe I'm actually typing this, but have you tried other "bible" software? I mean, I know I haven't been to a church in 16 years, but as far as I know it's a book that you can probably get a Mac(?) Optimized(?) version of...like a PDF? Web interface? Seriously, if that's what's killing your computer you should probably to to other, errr, sources.

10. Brettka7 macrumors regular

What if you use boot camp instead of parallels? I have it set up so I have a 40GB Windows partition, and I can use that partition via parallels too.

11. Corax macrumors 6502

Corax

As posted above, try an alternative.
    Personally I use Bible software from Olive Tree, it's in the Mac App Store! :)
    Their software is free, there are many free in-app downloads, but also paid in-app downloads, like bibles, dictionaries, commentaries, etc...
    It's really great software and you can sync it with your olive tree account, which is handy, because you can also download the application for your iPhone, iPad, blackberry or even Android device and have all your purchases on those devices with no added costs.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

You know it comes as a book these days?

13. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

14. Heartex thread starter macrumors newbie

So, after much thought and you guys did help and others not so much..but I am praying for you.:)
    I ended up getting a base model since (cpu was not the problem)
    15 2.3 icore 7 rMBP with 16 GB.
    It arrived last Wednesday and it is Beautiful and the screen is amazing!
    Have Parralles and window 7 professional on it with no problems.
    Glad I went with the 15 model for studying and I still have my mid 2011 MBA for traveling.
    And I even got the Samsung display.
    I have yet to hear the fan turn on when using this machine .
    So ...Thanks