Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple?

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2008
Hi everyone,

I'm new to a mac, and I was wondering if there was any way to switch the mac "Command+tab" from changing between different applications only to changing between windows (in same application) and aplications. This mac quick is SUPER annoying!!

Thanks

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
To switch between the windows of the same application use cmd+~

Where ~ is the button to the right of the left shift key on my MB.

Piaget

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2008
You might want to get a cheap program called Witch which can list all open windows under the applications, as well adding other functionality (like quitting, minimizing programs) under CMD-tab.

vandlism

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2007
Command + ~ (tilda) is the way to key between windows of a certain application. Otherwise, map the corners of your screen to activate Expose. Learn Expose, use it, and you'll become best of friends.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I love the Command Tab shortcuts. Nice Apple uses that keystroke like on a Windows keyboard. You can for instance use the Control Tab keystroke to switch between tabs on your web browser.

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
I find that the Expose feature for windows within a program is very fast with a multibutton mouse.

erifneerg

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2008
Witch is nice alt to the default switching tool in mac osx. my main problem w/ it is that it slows down terrifically sometimes and it takes foooreever for it to come up. i use the default mac app switching and then switch the windows w/ cmd + ` using witch.

Honestly cmd + tab on mac suck terrible and slows me down so much. it's an app switching app not a windows switching app. It's thinks like that kill me w/ a mac. Hard to find soo the right window at once.

Expose works as mouse gesture (via new macbook or hacked macbook pros) but i can't see myself using it everyday.

you might also want to check out an app call Fantasktik. this has help me alot knowing all the windows opened quickly.

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
To switch between the windows of the same application use cmd+~

Where ~ is the button to the right of the left shift key on my MB.
Wow, I've been a Mac user for over 2 years and this is the first time I've seen this short cut. Very useful! Thanks a ton!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.