Alt to itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by nykeiscool, Sep 9, 2010.

1. nykeiscool macrumors newbie

Hello. Well after giving it much thought i honestly can't think of a good alternative to itunes. As far as archiving things goes. I love my itunes for music buying music etc. But when it comes to video it sucks ( in my opinon ). What i would like is to be able to add all my .mkv to my itunes library , and seeing as to how thats not quite possible? i'm open to recommendations to another software that can do what i would like.... with a nice ui

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Doubletwist looks nice if you have an Android device. But the OP is asking for an alternative to iTunes mainly for viewing movies. Have you taken a look at vlc?

3. nykeiscool thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. And yes i use VLC at the current moment to play my videos. Thing is im upgrading from a laptop and plan to get multiple drives resulting in me archiving all my stuff onto it ( tv shows etc. etc. ). I used to use itunes when i had basic mp4's but now i want to use .mkv files which is where the conflict happens. I've read if u save A mkv as a reference movie in quicktime u can add it to itunes

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

For videos, try Plex. It'll let you add multiple locations, and manage the files. Be warned, though, that the current version (0.9.x) isn't fully feature-complete yet, but they're pushing it anyways. It works well enough overall, though.

jW

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

6. nykeiscool thread starter macrumors newbie

@ MAL Just youtubed that Looks sweet man this is actually even more awesome than itunes. Thanks for the find! cant wait to test it out my actual desktop next week for now lets see how it performs on this mbp

@ Outhere great example of failing to use my common sense thanks bud. If this plex dosent work out you've now supplied me with a list of others i could test out to thanks