Alternate For Sound Library/Archiver Software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BYup, Jul 9, 2010.

1. BYup macrumors newbie

Hi - I'm trying to find a better archiving tool for sounds and music, particularly useful for sound designers. iTunes has many of the features I like because creates an easy-to-search library for music but I'd like to add other tags to the files and be able to categorize them more specifically by types of sounds/music. Plus, I don't want to add a whole sound library in the middle of my music collection for iTunes.

Anyone have suggestions?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I have a need for such a solution as well - got TONS of sounds, currently organized in a Sound folder in my Music folder... but it would be really nice if I could tag them to make searching for that right sound easier. Since all my sounds are WAV format, which doesn't support tags, it would have to be in an external database of some sort.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

Sounds like a database app is what you would need, if Google comes up negative for sound byte specific app.

I'm looking into DevonThink for my own document needs, but you could probably use some of the features it provides for sound files.

4. BYup thread starter macrumors newbie

deadwulfe: This is great! All I just needed was the indexing support. However, direct CD to library would be nice along with sorting categories with artist would be nice - but the tags and index are just what I needed. - However, I'm going to test it out some more just to see if I'd really buy it with the $50 price tag.

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

I did read that it can index files, not just import them into a database. The manual listed an example of indexing as a means of cataloging CD/DVDs. Not as robust as what you could use, but that may be another item to consider.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I just hit the jackpot... found a program cheaper than DevonThink ($39.99 as opposed to $49.99) that does exactly what I want. It's called CDFinder - though its main use is a disk catalog, it also supports tagging catalog items. :D