Alternate Reality affects MacBook after Software Update!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kashchei, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My wife hadn't updated her software for some time, so I did this for her this evening. The had not yet done the latest iPhoto and Safari updates. After the machine started back up after the restart, the machine booted into a state that was approximately 5 months in the past: accounts were active on the computer that I had deleted months ago, programs that had been placed in the dock were not there, files that were created after this time were not there, etc. In short, everything about the computer was just like it was 5 months ago. After freaking out and running Disk Utility (for some reason, Time Machine said its last update was from June 26 due to problems writing to the disk), I restarted the machine. Now, everything is fine: the account that was deleted is gone once again, all programs are in the dock that should be, and all files have once again appeared.

Was I sucked into an alternate reality for a half hour, or has anyone heard of something similar happening after doing a software update? I am as perplexed as I have ever been (which is saying something!)

2. isaaclimdc macrumors 6502

isaaclimdc

Woah. That is COOL. Never head of it before... that's just weird!

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

That is really cool, freaky maybe, but cool. I have never heard of that before, but there is a first for everything. So far I haven't had any hitches on software updates. Interesting post though.