alternate tv tuner - imac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jocab64, Nov 15, 2008.

1. jocab64 macrumors newbie

I've been looking into the eyetv products for my imac, but haven't yet pulled the trigger because of price. I recently came across this tuner from Hauppauge. The model is WinTV-HVR-850 HD USB. It says it's compatible with xp but is there any reason it wouldn't work for my mac? Is it only the software that makes it incompatible? Is anyone else successfully using this on their mac with different software and/or drivers?

Thanks in advance.

2. waw74 macrumors 68030

it does look like it is supported by mythtv. Which is made for linux, but has been ported for OS X. Check out this

myth comes with 2 programs, backend (handles recording) and frontend (handles playback, and all the on screen interfaces). you can combine any number of both programs for a full networked DVR.

both programs have been converted to mac, i've used the front end on both my MB pro and a mini i have hooked to my tv. but only used the linux backends, so don't know how well that works.

You would have to leave the backend running all the time to record your programs, and then start the frontend when you wanted to watch something.

check out this link for info.

3. jocab64 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

According to el Gato's website, the 850 is not listed.

LINK