Alternating b/t iPhone and cheap phone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Phatpat, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I do a lot of biking; if I get an iPhone can I pull the SIM card out and put it back in my cheap old phone, and take that on bike rides?

I have nightmares of an iPhone jumping out of my jersey pocket and hitting the pavement hard...

2. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Yea, so do I! No, seriously... :D

You can do that but if I were you I would get one of these.

3. ipedro macrumors 68030

ipedro

or one of these:

[​IMG]

I go biking every morning. I slide the iPhone in the pouch underneath my saddle, zip up and ride away. I'm thinking of getting a small handle bar pouch that I've seen on other bikes.

The only time I use a cheap phone is if I expect to be in a place where I might fall into water or otherwise get splashed on (kayaking, going to a water park, rollercoaster park etc).

You can swap out the iPhone SIM card. Most GSM phones will accept them. My old Ericsson T28 is 11 years old and it read the info on the iPhone SIM and connected to the network. I was impressed!

Your only problem is that your contacts are stored on the iPhone not the SIM. As far as I know, there's no option to copy your contacts to your SIM. You'll have to do it the old fashioned way (input directly on cheap phone).

4. Phatpat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I have a tiny saddlebag with no room for an iPhone. I really just need a phone for emergency purposes. Glad to know I can just swap SIMs, thanks.