Alternative browser to Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Foz, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Foz macrumors newbie

I am looking for a browser that is similar to the latest version of IE - I am so used to how IE allows me to view my favorites bar in a separate pane on the left and then I can open several tabs at once and click on the links I want to go to in each separate tab ... I use Roboform to fill out any info that I need to fill out ...

I tried using Safari and Password 1 but it just doesn't work as well for me ... not unless I'm using Safari incorrectly ...

Which offers me a similar experience ... Firefox ? Opera ?

Thx:confused:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Firefox will probably be the closest. It offers the most functionality out of the browsers for Mac.

3. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Firefox is a good browser, although a lot of people swear by Chrome too.

---

Although I'm a little confused by what Safari isn't letting you do that IE would (perhaps cause I haven't used IE for years :p). Safari has tabs too - you open them by cmd-t, and you can open things in tabs by cmd-clicking links (for settings related to this, see Preferences - Tabs).

Although the favorites bar is on top, not to the left, I imagine it works pretty much the same, and with the new "Reading List," you could probably use that instead if the location really mattered that much.

If instead of having a home page, you set it to show top sites (which are customizable by the lower right edit button), you can also really quickly find your favorites when you open a new window.

Finally, you can store all your passwords with keychain access, located in the Utilities folder.

4. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

been a while since i used ie

when you open safari, click the little book icon in the menu bar

first tab is now your favourites/bookmarks where you can open any from here into a new tab

5. orvn macrumors 6502

Opera would probably be the closest to IE in functionality and design.

It's also built from webkit and even offers an IE emulation module, in which you switch to a mode where it browses the web just as IE would (useragent, activex, etc.)