alternative clothing companies for a 16 yr old guy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aPple nErd, Oct 7, 2014.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

alright, so this year instead of going to the same old Hollister, and american eagle, i want to try some new brands. Mainly looking for hooded sweatshirts, jeans, and tees. maybe a sweater with a button shirt here and there. im so tired of having the same clothes as every other person. (i'm trying to not be a hipster here) ;) so, are there any clothing brands that aren't extremely expensive that you guys find to be good quality brands? thanks.

2. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Not sure how you feel about it but you can get amazing deals on designer brands when you thrift shop. You can generally get clothes that are unique as well.

Not sure where you live, but in Los Angeles the thrift shopping is out of this world good. The reason why is film / fashion. For a fashion shoot or commercial the clothing designer will buy 10+ outfits for the model to use, when they generally only use 1. The designer won't know what looks good until the actor / model actually tries them on, and the actor or model isn't exactly going to go shopping with the designer. It's in the contract that the designer keeps the rest of the clothes not used / didn't look good, which they end up selling to thrift shops for extra cash. I've heard of clothing designers sell clothes by the pound because they have so much of it. So, depending on your location your mileage may vary.

I've bought jeans worth $400 for $60 still with the tag on them, probably only worn for 3 minutes by someone. I picked up a $600 vintage velvet jacket for $30.

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Rather than going for name brands though, you can go to like H&M and get clothes without branding and make your own outfits for a low price.

4. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

I have a name for you, and they have stores all over the US. Two brands, actually, where I've found innumerable $300 lambswool sweaters that fit perfectly, $900 Calvin Klein cashmere wool overcoats, and Donald Trump and Ermenegildo Zegna ties.

It's called the Salvation Army. Nothing I buy there has ever cost me more than $8 or $10, except for a Gap leather jacket that also fit perfectly which I paid $25 for. The ties - like $70 or $100 ties - all came at $0.99 each, the overcoat was $6, and the sweaters have never cost more than $3 apiece. An Armani dress shirt was like $2 I think. I did splurge once and buy a tie for $1.29, but that's rare.

You may have to hunt for a bit and return to hunt some more, but you can find truly unique stuff really cheap, and often high end brands if you're brand-conscious (which I, admittedly, am). People have commented to my family, making asides that I must make A LOT of money at my job to dress so well. Couldn't be farther from the truth!

Also try Goodwill. :)

Yes, the Salvation Army has turned me into a clothing snob. The only thing I don't buy brand new are shoes, socks, and underwear... which comes from JCPenney, Gap discount rack, or A&F (they have really comfy trunk briefs if you wear them) :D

5. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

alright. i generally don't buy clothes from places like goodwill, and salvation army, but i kinda want to try it now. I have to go up there soon anyways to drop off some of my old clothes, so i might as well see what they have.

6. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

+1. I've gotten some really good stuff at Goodwill, surprisingly good. Kind of amazing when you think that people drop their stuff off there for free just to get rid of it. The vintage velvet jacked I referenced to in post #2 is from Goodwill, seriously one of a kind.

I'm almost certain the reason why you can find some good stuff at places like those is because someone dies, the family is left with all their clothes, so they decide to donate it instead of going through the hassle of selling it. They have a lot more important matters to address. I dunno, just a thought.

7. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

What's your budget?

I usually like to get straight cut jeans find the cheapest plain color t-shirt with no logo and top it off with a regular sweater or cardigan.

8. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

yeah... sometimes after an estate sale in my area I'll notice a rush of certain brands coming through the aisles.

9. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Levis jeans are comfy.
    Thin dark coloured t-shirt without any special things on it is comfy.
    Unbranded black cotton shirt is comfy.
    Björn Borg is comfy.
    Happy socks are comfy.

I like these clothes.
    Want to look like me?

Edit. Wanted to add that you can get really nice shirts at second hand stores for cheap.

10. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well if you're going for hoodies, jeans and tees, you're basically going to have the same clothes as every other person no matter what brand you end up with

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've gotten a few nice suits at Savers.

Protip: Bookmark this thread and set a calendar appointment for 5 years from now. Look back and laugh nostalgically at how you were concerned about clothing brands.

12. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

13. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I really like Uniqlo for basics. Some of their pieces have a nice edge to them (see their Urban Sweats and +J collections, for example), quality is very good and prices are affordable.

They don't have many locations in the US (mostly in major cities only), but they're starting to creep back in to some of the suburban malls. I think they finally have an online store, as well.

14. palmerc2 macrumors 65816

palmerc2

Thinking you're joking :D

[​IMG]

15. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Just for the sake of the OP: http://www.uniqlo.com/

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Be really different and classily and wear some suits and ties. :rolleyes:

17. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Same age, and I do the vast majority of my clothes shopping in Gap and Boden. I think Boden ship to the U.S. as well.

They do really nice thick cotton shirts, and great polo shirts too. I'm not really a one for T-shirts and hoodies, but I have a nice zip-up fleece from there.

Disclaimer: Nobody has ever taken fashion advice from me. I'd probably advise you not to be the first who did... :eek: