alternative drivers for hp printers?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vm7118, Nov 6, 2007.

1. vm7118 macrumors regular

i'm planning on installing leopard tomorrow, and i'd like to use something besides hewlett packard drivers for my hp printer. it's a c5180 connected via ethernet to my router. in my current tiger installation, the printer works fine, but hp software sucks. there are so many annoying startup programs and files in my home directory... i'm a recent windows convert so i'm not sure what i can go about deleting just yet, and i'm wondering if there's any easier solution, i.e. better drivers.

thanks!

2. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

3. vm7118 thread starter macrumors regular

looks a bit outdated... their faq still references their old name gimp-print and makes no mention of 10.4 let alone 10.5. none of that matters if it works, though, i guess. will guten print let me scan and use the other multifunction capabilities through my router?

4. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

Gimp print drivers are included with Mac OS X. I have an HP printer who's preintalled drivers on my intel mac resulted in unreadable print outs. I went back to the printer set up and choose the Gimp drivers instead of HPs and it worked perfectly!