Alternative "DVD Player" software for OS X Lion? Having issues playing DVDs

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lokiju, Jun 20, 2012.

1. lokiju, Jun 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012

lokiju macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2008
    In some google searching it's clear that a LOT of people have/are experiencing issues playing DVD movies no their Mac's and Lion.

I specifically have a 2011 21.5" iMac and it just will not consistently play a DVD movie. I have gotten it to play a movie recently with one attempt but the next time I tried I could not get it to work.

I've tried a few different DVD movies but the results do not seem to change.

I even tried using the latest version of VLC player but I don't know if it's because I attempted initially using Apples DVD Player app since it's set to auto play when a DVD is inserted or because it cannot either.

Is there a solid and well known to work with Lion alternative for just simply playing DVD movies?

EDIT: Sorry was calling Apple DVD Player app iDVD initially by mistake. Have edited post to correct.
  2. simsaladimbamba

Nov 28, 2010
    VLC Player. Also know, that iDVD is not for playing video DVDs, but for creating them. DVD Player is the Mac OS X application for playing video DVDs.
  3. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2008
    See edit. Mistakenly was calling the Apple DVD Player app iDVD.
  4. lokiju thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2008
    Think I figured it our. Was due to audio output conflict it seems. I found a somewhat related thread on apples support forum and saw that it could cause app issues. I remover everything but my tos link and it seems ok now. Weird that it would cause that.