Alternative Internet Browsers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by neverendingscot, Mar 25, 2015.

1. neverendingscot macrumors member

Are there any internet browsers for Yosemite, other than Safari, that integrate with the Yosemite built-in sharing feature?

2. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

3. neverendingscot thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but that doesn't really pertain to what I asked about though.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

I'm sorry

I don't understand the question then, what are these yosemite inbuilt sharing options??

5. chabig macrumors 68040

The OP is talking about continuity. That's an iCloud feature that only Apple supports as far as I know.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Ahhhh

I didn't know that was tied to safari in any way.

7. chabig macrumors 68040

It's probably not really "tied" to Safari, but the browser would have to hook into iCloud to support it, so it must be added by the developer.

8. neverendingscot thread starter macrumors member

If continuity is the thing where you can share to Twitter, Facebook, Email, etc. directly from the browser menu and/or browser toolbar button, then yes that is what I am referring to.

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Surely.....

.....you can do that in any browser??? Just install the relevant plug ins....

This looks pretty good http://www.yoono.com/desktop_features.html

Continuity is where you can start something on your mac, iphone ipad and then pick up one of your other apple devices and carry on with that task. From phone calls to texts documents to photo editing.

10. JuryDuty macrumors 6502

JuryDuty

This.

And actually Chrome can pick up on the tabs you have open on other computers/devices. And Gmail can do continuity...

Just depends on what the OP really wants to do.

11. neverendingscot thread starter macrumors member

That I know, but I don't want plugins for everything, and there is no such plugin to email an article using a desktop email client that I can find.

12. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Just

copy and paste the web address. It takes up far less space in peoples inbox and directs people straight to the article.....

I really can't see what you are asking for that safari does and nothing else does. That one plug in I linked you to does it all in chrome or firefox for all social media sites.

Firefox can give you an email link button that opens your desktop client

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/customize-firefox-controls-buttons-and-toolbars

So can Chrome

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/...ail/ejdbkikfbnnhmachnnomjfgjbgkcnjkb?hl=en-GB

All these things are standard browser options, you just have to customise your toolbar...

and thats me done I am fed up with doing simple google searches for obvious things for what seems like someone just to lazy to do it themselves...

13. MLinneer macrumors regular

MLinneer

As Safari is specifically built for OS X, it is the only browser that does what it does builtin. Both Chrome and Firefox can be made to do certain things through plugins, extensions, and what Mozilla calls "Services." Since they are not built specifically for OS X, they cannot (or choose not to) use certain API's that Apple has made available for developers.

The Chrome Store has many extensions that will emulate the Safari share services. There are specific extensions to share a page to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, and your default email app. I believe there is at least one that includes all these services and more. Many of these have versions also available for Firefox through the Tools > Addins menu.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Do you mean the iCloud bookmark sharing across devices? That came in before Yosemite which might be confusing people.

Other browsers can be made to do this but only OS X will integrate with other (such as IOS) Apple devices.

What do you want to share with? Other people? Other devices?