Alternative internet on wifi only iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by blastingas10, Aug 22, 2012.

1. blastingas10 macrumors member

I have a wifi only iPad 3 and my Internet service has been disconnected. It's unlikely that It will be back anytime soon, so I'm wondering, is there any way to get Internet on my wifi only iPad? I've heard something about using your cell phone to get a wifi hotspot. Does Anyone know anything about that? Or any solutions for my problem?

2. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

what cell phone do you have?! more than likely you'll need a smartphone.
    idk what area you are in, but if you service is good you can get a pay as you go t-mobile hotspot

3. cfs macrumors 6502a

If you own an Androidndownload Superbox. This allows tethering through your phone. You can also look into pocket wifi.

4. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

5. djharris macrumors member

You should be good if you jailbreak your phone to get a hotspot. But AT&T might let you pay for that capability w/o jailbreaking...

----------

Also, if you live in a Sprint 4G (WiMax) city, NetZero (remember them?) provides a set amount of free 4G only service if you buy the device... you can also buy more if you need more

http://www.netzero.net/

6. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Mobile hotspots work just like home Wifi routers. The difference is that they are using a cellular connection for internet instead of a DSL or Cable modem.

8. DianySuazo, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

DianySuazo macrumors newbie

If you are using a router to bring in the internet you should be able to connect to that access point. Go to settings on your iPad and make sure your wi-fi is turned on. You should see wireless networks in range. They each have a name (SSID). Look for your access point and click connect. Interested if that works. If so hit the "like" button.

iPad Cases

9. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

If I get a wifi hotspot on my iPhone 3G, would I be able to connect my iPad 3 to that hotspot? Does anyone know?

10. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

You'll need at least a 3GS for the hotspot feature.

11. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

That might be what I have, I'm not sure. So if I can get the hotspot feature on my phone, will I be able to connect my iPad 3 to that hotspot? That's the big question I need to know

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

YES. I have an iPhone 4s and it works great. Not sure about the performance on an older cell phone.

13. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

I get really poor signal on my phone when I'm at home, is the hotspot speed affecting by your signal strength?

14. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Yes, directly. It is the same thing.

15. blastingas10 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. So if my signal is so poor that it takes forever to load the Internet on my phone, anything connected to my phones hotspot would be equally as slow?

16. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

exactly!